Welcome to UC Berkeley’s Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department. In IEOR, we expand the frontiers of optimization, stochastics and data science enabling transformative decision analytics and technologies to solve grand challenges in transportation, supply chains, healthcare, energy, robotics, finance and risk management.
Exciting Career Opportunities
Technology companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Uber, Tesla, Amazon, Salesforce, and others rely on IEOR students to help them make data-driven decisions and develop artificial intelligence applications.
Financial and consulting firms such as McKinsey, Deloitte, FICO, VISA, Accenture and others hire IEOR students to manage risk, pricing, and revenue to help leading companies make management decisions.
Manufacturing, service, and transportation companies such as Ford, UPS, Toyota, Dell, Boeing, FedEx, Walt Disney Company, Hershey’s, large airlines and transportation companies hire a significant number of IEOR students to manage logistics, supply-chains, and design transportation routes.
Berkeley IEOR is particularly well known for training the next generation of academics and placing them in top universities worldwide. You can find recent IEOR PhDs teaching and leading research teams at MIT, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Northwestern, Stanford, Purdue, UCLA, Oxford, London Business School, IIT Bombay, National University of Singapore, Tsinghua, among many others.
Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California
Make an Impact
- IEOR grads figure out how to make things better.
- Picture yourself at the headquarters for a large system of hospitals, where your job is to optimize their emergency rooms, to serve more patients and save valuable resources.
- IEOR grads configure processes and systems that improve quality and productivity.
- Imagine you work at a famous coffee house chain, designing the store layout so that customers can get their morning cup of coffee faster.
- IEOR grads help products achieve perfection.
- You might oversee the production of electric vehicles that reduce carbon emissions and create the future of autonomous fleets for urban mobility.
- IEOR grads learn the latest data science tools.
- Envision a future at a leading technology company, using your skills to develop the next generation platform for artificial intelligence.
- IEOR grads understand logistics
- Imagine it’s your job to design a supply chain to efficiently distribute a vaccine to millions of people from various suppliers around the world.
What makes Berkeley IEOR different?
- The San Francisco Bay Area is the world’s center of technology and innovation. Students have access to internships at the world’s leading technology companies.
- UC Berkeley is the #1 public university in the world, and the #3 College of Engineering in the US. Sister departments in Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, and Math are all highly renowned.