View job on Handshake
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team explores new vehicle and societal innovations that require some level of invention before they can be applied to our products and services. The team is building on a history of Ford innovation, including our invention of the three-way catalytic converter to modernize vehicle emissions controls in the 1970s and the world’s first rear inflatable seat belts in 2010.
Today, we are exploring and delivering ways to make smarter vehicles and our transportation system more efficient to improve people’s lives by helping them move more freely, safely and enjoyably. For example, we are changing how our products are made by creating high-quality vehicles in an environmentally and socially responsible way, including the use sustainable materials. Since 2000, we have used 12 industry and world-first plant-based materials in our production vehicles. We also are researching the possible use of tomato skin, bamboo, agave fiber, dandelion roots, algae and coffee chaff as part of our ambitious goal of making our vehicles with up of 20 percent sustainable material by 2025.
What you’ll be able to do:
- Responsible for collaborating with internal departments/organizations and technology vendors to develop and/or evaluate wireless technologies
- Design and develop proof-of-concepts for evaluating suitability and performance of V2X connectivity technologies for automotive use cases
- Conduct performance analysis and feasibility studies using analytical modeling, simulations, and experiments
- Translate promising technologies into sophisticated projects that will add value to the business
- Collaborate internally and externally with a team of multi-functional domain specialists
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- 2+ years of experience in working with wireless connectivity and protocols (e.g. Wi-Fi, Cellular (LTE/5G), BLE, etc.) including academic research during graduate program
- 3+ years of proven experience with programming MATLAB, C/C++, Java and/or embedded system software (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
Our preferred qualifications:
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- 2+ years of work experience in the industry
- Knowledge of wireless standards (e.g. 3GPP, IEEE, Bluetooth SIG, etc.) and ITS connected vehicle applications highly desired
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following: Cellular V2X, 5G and/or satellite communications
- Ability to innovate quickly through proof of concept development balanced with a dedication to process discipline to ensure quality deliveries into the enterprise
- Familiarity with automotive systems and networks (e.g. CAN, Ethernet, etc.)
- Multi-functional product development in hardware, software and firmware
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent multi-tasking, team work, technical documentation and interpersonal communication skills
What you will receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have the passion to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us. Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford’s salary and benefits, please visit: https://corporate.ford.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en-us/documents/careers/2021-benefits-and-comp-GSR-sal-plan-1.pdf