View job on Handshake
Job Description Summary
The Power DIE Business Validation Engineer is responsible for leading compliance to Product Definition Requirements and owns the Spec Compliance Matrix definition, limits and proof of concept test solution roadmaps to support the development, enhancement, maintenance and cost reduction of Wolfspeed Power Device products.
The Validation Engineer works closely with other cross-functional team members within Wolfspeed and reports to the R&D Test Engineering Manager. The incumbent uses critical thinking to make sound decisions and must be an energetic hands-on self-starter with the ability to drive projects working independently and/or collaboratively within a team.
What can our company do for you?
- Come and grow with a company that is rapidly expanding into new markets.
- Be a part of a World Class Leader in Semiconductor Development.
- Collaborate with the best and brightest in the field.
- Directly impact the development of leading-edge products in support of emerging technologies.
- Engage in an environment where teams embrace and celebrate inclusion and diversity.
What can you do for our company?
- Develops and maintains Specification Compliance Matrix
- Ensures products robustly meets product requirements definition (PRD) by owning Spec Compliance Matrix (SCM) through entire product development process.
- Drives/Participates in DFMEA, Validates failure modes and limits per DFMEA documentation
- Interfaces & communicates with leadership to establish strategic validation engineering mission and vision.
- Effectively communicates to all levels of the organization.
- Defines proof of concept test methods/plans for exercising (Realistic Customer Usage) devices that provides results for analysis.
- Defines real world topologies as input to R&D for test development
- Defines need (ROI, justification, equipment utilization, etc.)
- Leads Competitive Benchmarking Analysis
- Test Competitors Parts and analyzes data using statistical tools and methodologies.
- Compares performance of our devices vs. competition and leads discussion with panel of interested teams across the organization.
- Stores data in a logical fashion making the data easily accessible.
- Interacts with other engineering groups to define, document, analyze, perform, and interpret tests for internal products, systems, components, or modifications.
- Supports NTI/NPI by ensuring new technology integrates well with no surprises.
- Annual Strategic Goals
- Supports release of technology node with no surprises on time/on budget.
- Competitive Benchmarking
- Interprets competition’s long-term strategy by analyzing device commercialization data.
- What’s in the market, what’s next? Defines PDP trajectory against competitors market share.
- Strategically Selects device part numbers to do spot checking of fabrication performance from our vendors.
- Creates a metric to monitor annually
- Define safe operating areas (SOA) and implications.
- Project manages time commitments with overall plans for execution and uses good project management and sound judgement
- Defines lifetime impact of abnormal operating conditions.
- Defines abnormal operating conditions outside our datasheet recommendations
- Creates, documents, and analyzes the most complex test cases and provides feedback and recommendations for product or design changes.
- Works on advanced, complex technical projects or business issues requiring state of the art technical or industry knowledge.
- Works autonomously. Goals are generally communicated in solution or project goal terms.
- Reviews and approves the implementation of test plans, processes and new equipment.
- Utilize product data to identify, design, validate and implement testing enhancements for Power Device Products.
- Provides technical guidance on all aspects of device evaluation and product qualification testing.
- May provide electrical engineering support to Power Device Operations facilities as required to release new product. Support product changes to drive manufacturing efficiency and help lower the cost of manufacturing.
What you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline including Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Physics, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Strong work ethic with customer centric qualities.
- 5 years of experience in test engineering, new product development, research or continuation/sustaining engineering environment.
- 2 years of experience in leading a test solution design.
- Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, thermal and high-power circuits and systems in all three disciplines of analog, digital, and power.
- Solid understanding working with high voltage – above 600V systems and circuits.
- Excellent Time Management Skills with demonstrated success managing multiple project responsibilities.
- Familiar with project management and identifying risk.
- Demonstrated expertise in the testing of electronic components or systems.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills are essential to all levels of the organization.
- Solid understanding of test engineering principles, standards & design mitigation techniques.
- Experience with Six Sigma tools, FMEA, Gage R&R, SPC and/or other techniques.
- Experience analyzing data with statistical analysis tools like Minitab or JMP.
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Master’s degree in technical discipline including Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Physics, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with wafer handling and working in a clean room environment
- Experience with electrical testing of Analog and/or Digital devices.
- Familiarity with Semiconductor test characterization and data sheet performance testing.
- Experience with Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- Experience with .NET framework.
- Experience with LabVIEW.
- Experience managing test solution automation and/or system architecture.
- PMP Certification.
- Green belt, Black belt certification.
Travel: < 10%
This is a summary of the position’s responsibilities and does not reflect the entire scope of work expectations.