At Sleep Number we are improving lives every day by helping people sleep better every night. Learn more about a company that’s championing a health and wellness revolution with quality sleep at its core. Join our Planning Team for a 12-week internship experience.
This Supply Chain Planning Internship is responsible for forecasting, planning and management of inventory needs for assigned categories. Responsibilities include 1) execute the supplier forecast and replenishment to ensure meeting in stock goals 2) manage inventory to turn goals including executing safety stock and lead time strategies while minimizing excess, obsolete and aged inventory 3) maintain system settings, tools and processes to ensure inventory in right place, right time, right quantity 4) proactively communicate gaps and solves to ensure 1st time complete to customer 5) contribute cross-functionally to improve processes and work on projects including Value Stream teams, product changes and Total Cost of Ownership development (internal and external).
An ideal intern would be prepared to work in a fast-paced, team environment and will be able to complete the internship having gained a broad understanding of the promotional products industry and the unique ways our supply chain operates.
- Forecasting and Replenishment
- Plan, manage and execute product distribution over the planning horizon to ensure high service levels including PO releases and management
- Plan and manage Supplier forecasts including proactive communication to Supplier and internal partners on forecasts, changes vs prior forecast and forecast accuracy (against PO releases)
- Inventory management
- Identify and solve for critical shortages
- Proactive communication with internal customers’ expectations of availability and downstream impacts
- Manage relationships with suppliers to eliminate constraints and meet objectives
- Minimize obsolete/aged inventory
- Analyze, created, edit and track receiving of purchase orders for suppliers
- Manage and inspect purchase orders to ensure on-time and complete fulfilment; inclusive of proactive management with Suppliers on-time shipping and delivery, fill rate and past due PO maintenance. Ensuring critical information is provided by Supplier and providing Supplier and internal team members with KPIs to inspect Supplier performance.
- Execute and maintain item PFEP ensuring system settings meet the category inventory objectives (lead times, turn, safety stock, etc)
- Align with manager on appropriate safety stock levels leveraging business insights knowledge
- Understand end to end Supply Chain processes from production to fulfillment inclusive of Sleep Number manufacturing and assembly to Home Delivery
- Understand Supplier end to end processes from raw material procurement to finished good production as well as lead times associated
- Understand Supplier capacity and constraints and execute to appropriate plans to ensure Sleep Number demand is met while managing to Sleep Number inventory goals; Partner with Sourcing Manager and Supply Chain Planning Manager to develop plan and access inventory and total cost impacts
- Track KPIs to measure on-time shipments, on-time deliveries, fill rate, reschedule root cause
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Self-starter/action oriented
- Ability to balance high-quality standards with schedule pressures and the ability to work both independently and within a team
- High level of integrity, professional attitude, reliable and dependable
- Strong analytical, structured problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to understand the big picture as well as pay attention to detail
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills such as basic functions (SUM, AVERAGE), advanced functions (VLOOKUP, IF-THEN), pivot tables
- High level of attention to detail
- Must have the ability to manage confidential and company proprietary information
Experience, Education & Certifications:
- Undergraduate or graduate business student with/or pursuing major in Business or Supply Chain Management.
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Handle multiple activities simultaneously and ensure accurate and timely completion of tasks
Additional Program Details:
- Competitive compensation
- Full intern summer events program
- Campus Ambassador opportunities
Sleep Number is an equal opportunity employer, committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, regardless of sex; race; color; creed; national origin; religion; age; marital status; pregnancy; physical, mental, communicative or sensory disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.