The Supply Chain Engineer – DC Design is responsible for research, business justification, design, implementation and stabilization of MHE solutions for the DC omni-channel network. This position will collaborate with Project Management, Operations, Planning, Safety and Facilities Maintenance to identify business requirements, perform analysis and develop project plans for new technology, automation, and equipment solutions to drive improved efficiency, safety, and “Great Place to Work” initiatives for the network. They will engage with all levels of the organization including presentations to senior leadership for approvals and provide updates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Distribution Center design work for new Harbor Freight Tools omni-channel DCs.
- Assist in evaluation and design of distribution center operational processes, layout, material handling and other systems, including estimates of returns on invested capital and development of business cases for approval
- Manage AutoCAD drawing files of existing buildings
- Conduct analysis, modeling, layout, and design work for new DCs.
- Develop detailed ROI analysis to justify single and multi-site solutions
- Support retrofits and upgrades of existing DCs as needed.
- Support DC go-live and stabilization of new installations partnering with operations, facilities and providers.
- Apply Lean methods for structured problem solving
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supply Chain Network
- Travel – approximately 25% travel required, depending on home location
- Location – Local to any DC
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Master’s Degree Engineering or Operations Management a plus
- 4+ years of experience in high volume distribution preferred.
- Experience in the application of material handling equipment in distribution center design
- Very proficient in the use of AutoCAD to develop and maintain large complex drawings of equipment and facilities
- Possess strong computer skills- Microsoft office suite, Visio, Tableau a plus.
- Must be highly organized, and be able to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
- Possess strong analytical skills
- Excel at working in a team environment
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and written at all levels of management
- Leadership – Models the Company’s values and influences others to achieve individual or team objectives
- Communication – Clearly conveys information through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that is understandable, easy to retain and timely
- Initiative – Approaches work objectives with a sense of urgency and a dedication to exceeding performance expectations
- Problem-solving/Decision-making – Accurately identifies problems, issues and opportunities, collects data to draw conclusions and chooses a course of action based on facts
- Planning & Organization – Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work objectives are met
- Policy Compliance – Manages in accordance with Company policies and procedures and promotes compliance in others
- stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform this job safely in accordance with standard operating procedures and good manufacturing practices, without endangering the health or safety of self or others