For 50 years NOC has led the outdoor industry, taking more guests whitewater rafting and teaching more paddlers than any other outdoor recreation company. NOC also provides top-quality aerial and trail-based adventures, wilderness medicine as well as providing unmatched retail service, foodservice, lodging, and trip planning services. Behind NOC’s rapid growth are our staff’s commitment to our five core values: lead by example, service before self, do the right thing, work hard/play hard and make it happen. These core values unite a community of leaders and pioneers in an exciting, fun and always changing work environment.
NOC career opportunities offer prospects rare opportunities to work in beautiful locations, to grow their skills and to share a passion for active outdoor recreation. Ideal candidates are leaders in the work place that wish to join a unique, values-driven organization. They aspire to excellence in their fields and disciplines and they demonstrate a commitment to the service of others. Above all, they want to provide visitors with unforgettable experiences in the great outdoors. If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll apply to join the NOC team.
Job Summary: We are Looking for a passionate and energetic individual that shares a love for the outdoors and is excited to meet our guests needs. Come join our team at one of the industry leaders in outdoor adventure at NOC’s Retail Outpost located inside the historic Grove Park Inn. As the Retail Manager, you will lead our retail team at this location, become an expert in all our products, apparel, gear and adventure offerings, and be able to provide our guests with in-depth knowledge of the surrounding area.
This position reports to the Sr. Retail of Director and is a full-time year-round position with NOC. Ideal applicants will be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. Hours and schedule will fluctuate based on business demands. Retail Managers have access to all of NOC’s outdoor activities, gear, apparel, and footwear at special discounted rates, plus free/discounted access to several local area attractions.
Primary Functions of the position:
- Maintain responsibility for the store revenue, budgets and inventory.
- Assist in creating budgets for all facets of the store, including merchandising, payroll, supplies, fixtures, and revenue.
- Responsible for ensuring that budgets are met.
- Implements and monitors all inventory guidelines regarding inventory levels, inventory control.
- Communicates with Buyers and the rest of the Retail Team to achieve success.
- Implements and adheres to policies and guidelines of NOC.
- Oversees the creation of all new structure and guidelines, as well as policy and procedure.
- Ensures compliance with existing company policies and practices.
- Supports and directs all staff.
- Provides job descriptions and clear expectations for all supervised positions.
- Ensures product flows smoothly and efficiently to the Retail floor.
- Provides input to the Buying Team.
- Schedules and facilitates all staff meetings.
- Directly responsible for personnel issues.
- Responsible for hiring and training all new store staff.
- Works with Retail Team to create training programs and standards.
- Responsible for Physical Year End inventory at your location and assisting other departments with theirs when possible.
- Responsible for all aspects of performance evaluation.
- Responsibility for all salary changes, promotions, disciplinary actions and dismissals within your staff.
- Works on the sales floor 60% of scheduled shifts.
- Serves as front line employee in assisting in sales, stocking, displays, registers, etc as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or minimum 3 years management experience in outdoor retail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical skills regarding spreadsheet data, industry trends, and personnel issues, etc.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills to interact with manufacturers’ reps, guest, and staff.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to work autonomously, yet function as a team player.
- Strong customer service orientation.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the essential functions of this position.
The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any and all terms, conditions or privileges of employment including hiring, promotions, termination, training and compensation. The NOC does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic condition or any other status protected by federal, state or local law, where applicable. Furthermore, the NOC is committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment through respecting and valuing the diversity among employees and all those with whom the NOC does business.