If you are a Statistician with experience in methods of analysis and causal inference for observational studies, come join PAVIR and Dr. Paul Heidenreich’s research lab to support studies evaluating cardiovascular quality of care and outcomes among patients. Your contribution to this important work will make a difference in the lives of Veterans and people with disabilities!
As a Statistician, you will support this impactful research, aiming to evaluate the relationship between clinical care and outcomes using standard statistical analyses of large health datasets. These results will be used to influence future clinical decisions in the VA and beyond.
You will be working directly with Dr. Paul Heidenreich, Professor and Vice Chair for Quality in the Department of Medicine at Stanford University. He is also Chief of Medicine at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. By joining Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR), you become a part of the nation’s second largest research program conducted among the VA Hospitals.
PAVIR is delighted to offer a robust and comprehensive employee benefits package with exceptional offerings such as health, dental and vision insurance, 14 paid holidays, generous vacation and sick pay policies, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
This is a full-time position that can be fully-remote, although there’s office space available at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System.
STATISTICIAN’S MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Statistician will perform statistical programming for VA funded studies of the quality, timeliness, and costs of care for Veterans with cardiovascular disease:
- Clean data, build datasets for processing, interpret data, identify problems with data or coding, and resolve technical problems;
- Perform statistical analysis and evaluate large sets of clinical data;
- Provide programming input in SAS and STATA;
- Maintain detailed, professional programming and database documentation;
- Assist in preparation for research manuscripts and project reports and generating tables and graphs for publications;
- Monitor datasets and statistical deliverables for quality assurance;
- Collaborate with clinical research team and other experts in the field regarding ongoing analyses of the project.
- 2 years of experience directly related to working with statistical programming, including strong computer programming skills in SAS, STATA or R and Excel;
- Experience in methods of analysis and causal inference for observational studies, including cohort and case-control, and survival analysis (linear, logistic, Cox regression);
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in methods of adjustment for observational studies (propensity matching, time-dependent analysis);
- Prior experience with clinical research, outcomes research, health services research or epidemiology;
- Experience with development and use of natural language processing algorithms;
- Master’s or PhD.
WE ARE ALSO SEEKING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experienced understanding of programming languages, flow and development;
- Efficient time-management and prioritization skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of structured modular programming;
- Familiarity with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures (health services research; epidemiology);
- Knowledge of VA and Medicare data and its data design is preferred;
- Familiarity with medical terms and the US Health Care System, preferred.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.