View job on Handshake
Are you passionate about developing mathematical modeling tools to solve real-world problems? Are you interested in working for a company that values dedication in the workplace, promotes learning and professional development, and appreciates the importance of work-life balance? If so, we would like to talk with you about your research interests! We are seeking an individual with demonstrated experience in systems modeling and software development.
The successful candidate will have a background in modeling dynamical systems under stress, and in creating software solutions that support consequence predictions. You will work with an outstanding multidisciplinary team, primarily, to research and develop methods/models/software that can be used to characterize the nature and extent of infrastructure damages, individually and within the context of a system of systems.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking a Senior Scientist to join the Health, Environment, Analytics, Risk, and Technology (HEART) Directorate in the Algorithms, Modeling, and Assessments Division. In this role, you would work with a multidisciplinary team in the development, programming, and validation of mathematical and predictive models, specifically, models of dynamical systems and their response to stress. The ideal candidate has a degree in engineering or computer science, a solid science background in infrastructure systems and multi-formalism modeling, and demonstrated skill in developing modeling and simulation software. The candidate should be motivated by the desire to solve complex problems. You will join an established team that is focused on developing a modeling framework that simulates infrastructure damage to hydraulic network systems and predicts the level of functionality after damage. Ultimately, we use these simulation models to predict the probability of adverse health outcomes, inform the development of mitigation strategies, provide input for medical planning purposes, and support research on the efficacy of treatment modalities. In addition, the candidate should have general experience in the development of scientific computing software, and specific experience with Java programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop multi-formalism models of hydraulic network infrastructure
- Implement mathematical models of dynamical systems
- Work with multi-disciplinary science and engineering teams to develop Java software packages
- After the first three months, begin to lead tasks and provide direction for junior staff, identifying interim milestones and acceptance criteria
- Provide documentation to internal team members and clients on development and end products
Senior Scientist – Systems Modeling Requirements:
- Able to conceptualize and develop solutions to complex problems
- Clearly communicate complex ideas to collaborators across different disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in scientific software development, particularly in agile development methods
- Demonstrated experience with Java programming
- Familiarity with GIS packages and their application to dynamical system models
Senior Scientist – Systems Modeling Position Requirements:
- Ph.D. in a related discipline, e.g., Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics
- Experience with software development, preferable as a team or project lead
- Minimum of three years of experience in the development and application of dynamical systems models
- Specific experience with infrastructure models is strongly preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in developing mathematical models of dynamical systems
- 3-5 years of experience in developing modeling and simulation software
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.