The Analytical and Spatial Intelligence Research Team at Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking algorithm engineers interested in acquiring, processing, and fusing data for geolocalization and modeling applications. We are a close-knit team of creative thinkers from diverse backgrounds who collaborate to find non-standard solutions to challenging problems. Our dynamic development approach has a history of creating bleeding-edge solutions for the United States defense and intelligence communities. We encourage candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit who seek a research career within a stable industry to apply. Remote work will be considered for qualified applicants.
This opportunity is available in Raleigh, NC, or Cleveland, OH, and surrounding areas.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As of October 1, 2021, Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA), in compliance with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination at time of hire. If you cannot receive the COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability/medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, you will be asked to follow our process to request an accommodation.
Senior Research Scientist – Geospatial and 3D Analysis Position Highlights:
- Develop and evaluate prototype software to solve multi-disciplinary problems related to labeling, geolocalization, and 3D modeling
- Process and integrate data from different sources, including satellites, unmanned aerial vehicles, ground vehicles, human-wearables, and smart devices
- Gain experience with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and computer vision
- Enjoy a challenging technical career with opportunities for personal growth
Senior Research Scientist – Geospatial and 3D Analysis Required Experience & Skills:
- Due to the work, you’ll perform and interactions with DoD programs you will need to be a US citizen
- Master of Science degree or above in a related discipline (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Geographic Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, etc.) along with 5+ years relevant work within geospatial and 3D analysis
- Strong foundation in software development with experience in MATLAB or Python
- 2+ years relevant work experience in one of the following areas: mathematics, physics, signal processing, or optimization
Senior Research Scientist – Geospatial and 3D Analysis Desirable Experience & Skills:
- Experience working with point clouds, georasters, 3D models, or georeferenced polygons
- Experience calculating viewsheds, rendering scenes, performing coordinate transforms, or using projective geometry
- Experience with collaborative software development and version control
- Experience writing technical proposals
- Experience working on intelligence and DoD programs
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.