View job on Handshake
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Open Date: June 29, 2022
Close Date: July 29, 2022
Fermilab is the largest particle physics and accelerator laboratory in North America, and is the host for many national and international physics experiments including the Large Hadron Collider(LHC), Deep Underground Neutrino experiment (DUNE), NOvA and many others. On average, over 600TB of data needs to be transferred daily between global sites. This makes networking a major component of the laboratory’s infrastructure. Spanning 6800-acres, the lab’s network includes over 700 wireless access points, nearly 500 switches and routers, and over 400Gb of WAN bandwidth.
As a Senior Network Analyst, you will be working a multidisciplinary collaborative environment as a member of the team as well as independently to ensure the safe and reliable operations of a large-scale high-performance network. You will be providing primary support for one or several areas of networking to serve the needs of science experiments and general purpose campus users. Day to day duties will include configuring, administering, deploying, decommissioning various switches and routers, security appliances, application delivery controllers and access control servers at the high-performance datacenter and experiments’ halls. You will provide Tier-1 and Tier2 support for operational issues. Secondary duties will include design efforts to constantly evolving Fermilab’s network to the next generation architectures and capabilities. Job duties will also include recommending and deploying improvements/upgrades to existing systems, deploying new network systems, and evaluating performance and security for existing network systems.
You will analyze and plan for anticipated changes in network capacity requirements, determine methods/procedures for new assignments and provide guidance to network personnel facilitating the transfer of knowledge of technologies.
You must be able to work under general supervision; respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity; and abide by all environment, safety and health regulations.
We are Looking For:
Fermi National Accelerator’s Network Services Group seeks a Senior Network Analyst to join our diverse workforce. The successful candidate should possess the required qualifications and experience, and several of the following skills:
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related technical field, or equivalent training and experience
- 8+ years thorough working knowledge of IP networking in large networks preferably based on Cisco products, deep understanding of TCP, UDP and layer-2/layer-3 network protocols, VRF and VXLAN technology
- 8+ years hands-on experience managing, maintaining and troubleshooting issues in large networks with a mix of Cisco switches, routers, Palo-Alto firewall systems, F5 application delivery controllers, HPE/Aruba Clearpass access servers and InfoBlox DNS appliances
- Understanding and working experience in IPv6 Networking
- 5+ years of the most recent work experience with switching and routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, HSRP, SPT)
- 5+ years of experience with Cisco IOS, NXOS software, configuring and managing Cisco switches and routers, familiarity with Cisco Nexus 7K/9K platforms
- Working experience with 802.1x port security and network access policy enforcement in large networks
- Solid programming skills, practical experience with scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, Perl etc.
- Good understanding of WiFi networking in enterprise environment
- Cisco technical certifications preferred
- Experience using/administering commercial and public domain monitoring and management software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to take responsibility for medium to large scale projects
- Must carry cell phone off-hours and participate in on-call rotation, occasional traveling
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
HUMAN FACTORS: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, and Visually Demanding.
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.