Position: Senior Director, Strategy, Planning & Analytics
Beam Living, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a vertically integrated Real Estate management company that creates, manages, and supports communities throughout New York City.
We are focused on being both a great place to work and to live. We are part of a very competitive NYC residential real estate market and need a very talented team to deliver on our promises to residents and to communicate to the world why they should live in our communities.
We are looking for someone to join our Strategy, Planning & Analytics Team in the role of Senior Director. If you are interested in providing strategic and analytical support to maximize the operational performance of the organization as we take care of our residents today and reshape communities to attract the resident of the future, then maybe you should join us.
Only read further if you are:
- Someone who cares about building a great place for people to live and work.
You should be:
- A critical thinker who enjoys the challenge of aligning analytical work with strategic goals; demonstrating knowledge of performance drivers; and understanding business implications of decisions.
- A lover of data who identifies data relationships and dependencies; synthesizes complex information to draw conclusions and make strategic decisions.
- An executor who is passionately committed to excellence and will relentlessly pursue the team’s goals.
- A strategist who believes that if we do something, we should do it better than anyone, in an organized and efficient manner.
- A passionate communicator who believes in helping others win and that proactive hands-on leadership is the only course of action.
- A collaborative leader that will support and grow a great team.
- Gumby. Things change.
What you will do:
Drive strategic and operational decision making by providing analytical support:
- Drive strategic and operational decisions by producing analytical support covering all areas of the organization, analyze operational and financial data, both internal and external; determine trends and opportunities.
- Assess and analyze operation data, including a wide range of operational KPIs (examples: marketing, payroll, utilities, renovations, etc.) to determine inefficiencies, opportunities, operational goals and strategy.
- Understand data structure, determine data inefficiencies and improvement opportunities. Actively participate in a large data improvement and BI roadmap and data restructuring.
Develop and execute an asset management strategy:
- Incorporate a value-oriented approach by analyzing revenue opportunities supported by financial models to justify major capital investments and financial decisions.
- Conduct physical inspections to develop a thorough understanding of each property to assess implementation of strategic initiatives and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Work with Design & Construction team to assess the capital needs/expenditures and develop both short and long-term capital plan and strategy.
- Evaluate, formulate and implement new strategies, products and services intended to grow rental and ancillary income and create operational efficiencies.
Generate operational reporting and materials for ownership and investors:
- Produce weekly, monthly, and ad-hoc reporting for the organization, ownership and investors; produce reporting that covers wide range of operational and financial data.
- Ensure accuracy and quality of presented data, analytical explanations, and conclusions.
- Manage board books, business plans and other investor related materials.
- Utilize data visualization tools to facilitate decision making.
Oversee budgeting and forecasting:
- Produce complex and comprehensive revenue models and forecasts.
- Set budgeting and forecasting tools and templates for business partners and budget owners.
- Lead and manage the organization through the multiple budget processes.
- Review, validate, challenge, and finalize budget assumptions.
- Create and present budget materials and annual business plans for ownership and investors.
Develop and execute revenue management and optimization strategy:
- Set goals, measure, analyze and improve revenue driving factors; oversee revenue related statistics – track, measure, analyze, forecast, present and explain KPIs.
- Generate long-term and short-term revenue maximization strategy for rate growth, occupancy, and inventory management.
- Continuously evaluate marketing, demographic and economic data to determine trends.
Support ownership with new acquisitions:
- Provide analytical support with potential acquisitions, including underwriting, due diligence and asset transition.
What you should have:
- Strong understanding of financial / asset management; 10+ of relevant experience.
- Outstanding analytical, problem-solving skills; exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to generate and maintain complex financial models.
- Excellent writing / communication skills; capacity to influence and communicate with various stakeholders.
- Ability to produce top quality deliverables, taking full responsibility and ownership; demonstrate proven track record of delivering project and results.
- Genuine desire to support team members; proven leadership skills and ability to manage a team.
- Strong discipline and relentless desire to do what needs to be done.
- Drive for continuous improvement and ability to change; a desire to take on ever increasing responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Undergraduate degree required (finance, math, engineering degree preferred, but not required), MBA degree a plus.
- Finance / Real Estate experience required; banking / asset management experience is a plus.
- Strong Excel, modeling skills required.
What we offer:
We know that if we take care of our team everything else will fall into place. We aren’t perfect, but we will try to set very clear expectations, always let you know where you stand, and do everything in our power to help you get where you want to go.
Competitive pay that is commensurate with relevant experience and a full slate of benefits that even includes things like paid parental leave. We have a CEO that will make fun of himself and encourage you to tell him when he is wrong.
If any of that sounds interesting, then maybe we are a fit. Life is too short to work with people you don’t like. So whatever you do, don’t make that mistake.
A few of the people you will work with:
City Life Just Got Happier
To further our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all employment decisions at Beam Living are based on individual qualifications, business needs and job requirements without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.