View job on Handshake
The Senior Director, Global Capabilities Product Engineering is responsible for leading engineering teams in developing the omni-channel digital experience for McDonald’s.
The Senior Director will partner closely with other leaders from product engineering, architecture, data and security teams, and segment/market technology. In addition, the role will involve significant partnership with corporate and market business functions – particularly Digital Product & Experience team (DP&E), which will lead digital product management and strategy.
- Strategically represent engineering as part of the cross-functional leadership team.
- Collaborate with product and design counterparts to deliver continuous innovation pipeline converting product ideas into high quality customer deliverables.
- Own technical roadmap delivery and post-launch quality for all capabilities product and services.
- Own and evangelize the technical goals and architectural roadmap for Capabilities, including operational excellence, developer efficiency, and performance.
- Drive long-term engineering and platform strategy.
- Ensure timely, high-quality, efficient delivery of digital roadmaps – including engineering the customer-facing digital experience across multiple channels, including mobile, web, kiosk, and drive-thru.
- Build and develop engineering talent, and cultivate McDonald’s engineering culture.
- Institutionalize the teams’ ways of working and operating model, among engineering teams and with other McDonald’s teams – particularly digital product management.
- Manage employees and vendor partners to successful, collaborative outcomes.
- Provide thought leadership on and management of McDonald’s continued evolution of its engineering capabilities (e.g., simplifying omni-channel development, standardizing codebases across devices).
- Promote a customer-first mindset in development and support by encouraging teams to interface with markets to co-deliver from a shared backlog and sprint planning to improve the product.
- Report to the VP of Digital Product Engineering, the Senior Director will directly oversee15+ Product Engineering Managers and 240+ contractors.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in software engineering and product management. This individual will have a track record of successfully delivering new customer-facing digital experiences within a global, distributed workforce environment and innovating and maturing engineering practices in such an environment.
Ideal candidates will have an industry pedigree in retail, travel, hospitality, quick-serve and fast-casual restaurants, or some other consumer-facing industry.
This individual will also possess a strong delivery orientation and extensive experience managing complex partner relationships and reveal a long track record of delivering outcomes on-time, on-budget. In addition, this individual will need to be comfortable leading within a multi-cultural environment given the company’s diverse and global footprint.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the organization’s ambitions around omni-channel customer experiences.
- Foresight in understanding the evolution of digital customer experiences and how changing technologies will support.
- The ability to align business-prioritized roadmaps with changes needed to continuously improve McDonald’s underlying engineering foundations.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
- Strong orientation with microservices-oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with cloud-based application services.
- Strong Agile background with hands on experience leading product centric organizations that own the entirety of the product life cycle (concept through production support).
- Experience managing 3rd party service providers (engineering and SaaS).
- Familiarity with on-premises hosted technology.
- Domain knowledge around designing multi-tenant platforms, digital payments, food delivery experience, product data reliability efforts, etc., a plus.
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we’re excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It’s set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.