Summary: This Senior Director position is for a motivated and results driven fundraiser interested in cultivating and stewarding donors, working with a broad range of stakeholders, and communicating Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston’s (BGCB) mission and impact. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, they will provide the overall vision for an integrated and comprehensive individual giving program responsible for raising more than $11M annually in operating support. The role requires strategic coordination of all major and annual giving components including significantly growing the prospect pool of individuals who have the capacity to give up to $100,000, all affinity-based fundraising and engagement opportunities designed to increase the number of annual donors, direct mail and appeals, working with volunteer leadership, and collaborating on successful fundraising and cultivation events. Most critically, this person will manage a portfolio of prospects capable of giving $25,000 – $100,000 annually and will cultivate, directly solicit, and steward these donors. They will manage five staff and serve as a member of the Development & Marketing leadership team, working closely with colleagues to create and ensure programmatic integration of individual giving within the larger strategic plan to achieve revenue goals. The ideal candidate has excellent relationship management, persuasive writing and communication skills, successful track record in securing gifts at all levels, and thrives in a face-paced environment and is a team player.
This position is based at our Main Office, 200 High Street Boston, MA and is eligible to apply for a hybrid (in-office and remote) work model. It is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm with flexibility to attend events and meetings as needed.
BGCB is offering a $3,000 Sign-on Bonus! – Terms apply
Our Mission: The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston is to help young people, especially those who need us most, build strong character and realize their full potential as responsible citizens and leaders. We do this by providing: a safe haven filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adults, and life-enhancing programs.
- Youth First – We keep children and teens at the forefront of every action and decision to elevate members’ voices.
- Integrity – We conduct ourselves with honesty and transparency and strive to do the right thing, every day, and every time.
- Community – We foster an inclusive culture by celebrating diversity and respecting the inherent dignity and worth of everyone.
- Equity – We commit to providing opportunities to create just outcomes that honor the needs, experiences, and values of our community, especially those with marginalized identities.
- Innovation – We apply a forward-thinking approach that encourages teamwork, adaptability, strategy, intention, and creativity to address today’s challenges and build positive futures for all members.
- Commitment to BGCB’s mission, constantly learning and maintaining a thorough understanding of Club programming to inform creative ways to develop personalized funding proposals for top donors.
- Primary architect for individual giving strategic plan, providing leadership and vision to the team and organization.
- Analyze current individual giving program to enhance philanthropic efforts. Establish benchmarks and regular reporting processes to measure results of all annual giving activities.
- Design dynamic multi-channel strategies designed to grow and diversify donor-base, engage and retain existing donors, and encourage giving at higher levels.
- Work closely with Vice President of Development to establish revenue and expense projections for all individual giving activities, adjusting business plans according to results. Responsible for 3- to 5-year business unit planning.
- Manage a portfolio of top major donors and prospects, mostly in the five- to six-figure range. Cultivate, steward, and solicit prospects through face-to-face visits and personalized proposal development as needed. Oversee internal donor tracking and moves management for the portfolio and achieve at least 60 donor visits per year.
- Lead and oversee all programs for donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship for gifts up to $100,000 from individual donors. Actively seek and manage donor engagement activities at BGCB Clubs.
- Supervise high-performing frontline fundraisers responsible for committee management, impact reporting, engagement strategies, soliciting donors, special acknowledgements, and more.
- Partner with team members on articulating sophisticated case for support, meaningful stewardship, direct mail campaign, bi-annual appeal, digital fundraising, and monthly giving program.
- Strategically work with Director of Annual Giving and volunteer leadership to identify potential constituency groups building on the success of Artemis Circle and Friends Council.
- Work closely with the special events, communications, and donor relations team to support fundraising efforts. Develop and sustain productive and collaborative relationships across the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10+ years of front-line fundraising experience and
- demonstrated success in developing and executing successful strategies to grow and sustain individual giving.
- Experience with Board Committee management, peer-to-peer solicitation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of individual giving vehicles including planned giving.
- Highly collaborative, communicative, and transparent, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills; strong follow through and attention to detail; high-level analytical, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
- Goal-oriented with proven track record for directly securing gifts.
- Prior management experience, inspiring and motivating team leader.
- Ability to work effectively with board leadership, senior management, and other high-end stakeholders.
- Sense of humor and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Experience and aptitude for working with fundraising databases, Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Willingness and ability to work select early mornings and evenings as needed.