View job on Handshake
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $4,839.86 – $6,236.95 Monthly
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Senior Database Administrator in the Game and Fish IT Branch, working closely with the Application Development team to support an enterprise Microsoft SQL environment. The quality and security of the department’s data are extremely important. The database administrator is responsible for the function and health of a multi-server environment that encompasses multiple instances of MS SQL that are the center of many of the applications built and maintained by the department. The administrator will be responsible for regular system maintenance, database security administration, backup and recovery plans and execution, data migrations, upgrades, and other functions surrounding the building and development of internal data stores.
The current environment supports mission-critical applications such as licensing, draws, and wildlife tracking. The administrator is looked to as a system matter expert on data structures, data mining, and integration with external reporting systems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Ensure data continuity for the organization by maintaining a data backup and recovery plans, fully testing and executing the plans on a regular basis.
- Control access to department data through SQL-based credentials as well as collaborating with IT operations and development groups on Active Directory and application credentials.
- Work with IT operations group to maintain active server clusters.
- Work with application developers on data resource needs and structures, advising on database tuning, indexing, constraints, etc.
- Participate in weekly IT meetings to discuss issues directly associated with the database environment.
- Upgrade systems as required, including patching and major system upgrades.
- Handle various ad hoc requests pertaining to data import and export.
- Setup and monitor database replication.
- Create dummy datasets for testing environments.
- Work on system load testing.
- Maintain databases in an Azure cloud environment as well as local server clusters.
- Research and recommend changes for database implementation.
- Administer and oversee reporting services.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues.
- Provide support to end-users with access, database queries, and some Microsoft Access support.
Preferences will be given to users with Microsoft Database Administrator certification.
Preference will be given to users with source control experience through Team Foundation Server.
- Extensive knowledge of relational database design and administration, especially Microsoft SQL.
- Experience dealing with 3rd party reporting tool integration.
- Extensive T-SQL language skills.
- Ability to work with users of various backgrounds/knowledge.
- Past experience with major database upgrades/migrations.
- Working knowledge of spatial relation data types.
- Knowledge of application development lifecycle and data access layers.
Bachelor’s Degree (typically in Computer Technology)
1-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Computer Technology) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Computer Technology Business Applications Analyst
Education & Experience Substitution:
4-6 years of progressive work experience (typically in Computer Technology) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Computer Technology Business Applications Analyst
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- This position takes place in an average work environment.
- FLSA: Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment
- Some travel may be required.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department – Service Division
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #CTBA10
Job # 2021-02208
CTBA10-2021-02208-SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR-CHEYENNE
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.