View job on Handshake
Senior Associate, Data Science, Data.FI (Francophone)
Palladium is a global company working to design, develop and deliver positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe; broaden access to health, water, power, and infrastructure; build enduring, sustainable, and transformative institutions and market systems to address global challenges; and conserve the natural world. We operate in over 90 countries and have a workforce of 3,000 talented, motivated, and diverse staff of all religions, races, languages, and gender identities.
Our Americas’ business team has brilliant and passionate colleagues working in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North and South America as well as the Caribbean, fulfilling projects and assignments for clients from institutions, corporations, governments, and foundations based in the Americas. We have offices in Washington, DC, New York City, and Chapel Hill, NC.
Our Data, Informatics, and Analytical Solutions (DIAS) group is made of three portfolios that strengthen and harness digital and data ecosystems to accelerate development investments and outcomes: 1- Information Systems, 2- Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Analytics and 3- Digital Solutions and Transformation.
Palladium is currently seeking a Senior Associate, Data Science, Data.FI (Francophone) to support the implementation of the Translating Data for Implementation (Data.FI) award. Data.FI, is a five-year global project implemented by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the HIV and COVID-19 response. Data.FI partners with programs to accelerate and sustain access to high-quality data to expedite HIV and COVID-19 epidemic control and maintenance. By improving global, regional, national, and community/local in-depth analyses of HIV and COVID-19 epidemiologic and programmatic data, Data.FI expedites program achievements to improve client services and attain and sustain control of the epidemics. Data.FI supports host country governments to enhance existing health information systems (HIS), informing management responses to gaps in programming and sustaining impact by supporting local partner transition.
The Senior Associate, Data Science, Data.FI (Francophone) works with the Senior Technical Adviser, Data Science to design and execute data science projects related to population and patient health using supervised and unsupervised machine learning and other data science tools. Applications leverage de-identified patient data, aggregate health reporting data, survey data, and geospatial data, among others. Projects will result in outputs ranging from reports and analyses to deployed models generating information for decision makers in real time.
You and Your Career:
If you are a problem-solver, collaborator, and doer, and you have expertise global health, we are interested in hearing from you.
We are a learning organization and provide growth opportunities from the start. We pride ourselves on giving you the freedom, resources, and guidance to chart a fulfilling career!
The position is based in Palladium’s Washington, DC office.
Reporting and Supervision:
- This role will report to the Senior Technical Adviser, Data Science and will not have any supervisory responsibilities
- The position will entail approximately 15-20% overseas travel once global health conditions permit.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Adviser, Data Science, this role will do the following:
- Lead data exploration including generating descriptive statistics, two-way plots, and tables, to identify patterns and relationships
- Lead data cleaning, including identification of data quality issues (such as missing or mislabeled data or extreme values) and identifying and executing cleaning steps
- Conduct statistical tests on data to quantify patterns, identify causal relationships, and test hypotheses
- Train and test supervised machine learning models, including regression and classification models, with guidance from the senior technical adviser
- Present analyses to stakeholders in PPTs, documents or interactive dashboards such as R Shiny
- Adhere to coding best practices including producing reproducible work
Key Competencies Required:
- Fluency in French required
- Expertise with data munging, visualization, and modeling in R required
- Experience generating presentable tables and graphs in R for meetings and reports
- Strong task management skills including planning how to complete activities and adhere to deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and agile environment with changing requirements and priorities
- Knowledge and experience applying the Principles for Digital Development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with team members and clients of different cultures, gender, and hierarchical levels
Professional Expertise/Competencies Preferred:
- Experience with Python
- Experience collecting data via APIs or web scraping
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.