View job on Handshake
As a member of the research staff, you will be assisting postdoctoral fellows and graduate students with their research and experiments focused on understanding neural circuitry. We are ideally looking for candidates that are energetic and highly organized – who can multitask effectively and are solution-oriented. Depending on abilities, there is the opportunity for this person to be engaged on some bioinformatics and programming focused projects. Ideal candidates will be self-driven, creative, and willing to tackle novel challenges while continually work towards process improvement.
- Drosophila genetic crosses
- Dissections of the Drosophila central nervous system and immunohistochemistry procedures to label specific cell types or antigens
- Confocal immunofluorescence microscopy
- Image processing and analysis using ImageJ
- Visually screening large image databases for transgenic lines to target specific cell types
- Participating in laboratory meetings and read literature applicable to the research area
- Helping with lab organization and other support duties relating to lab operations, as required
Depending on the candidate’s skills and interests, additional duties could also include:
- Using R to register volumetric confocal images
- Using R to register confocal microscopy and electron microscopy data
- assisting with software integration (R/Python/Matlab) supporting image analysis and processing
- Using R to search a large database of whole-brain-scale single-cell connectivity data
- Assisting in the design and interpretation of connectomics analyses
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering, Math, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Prior hands-on laboratory experience in the context of work or an academic course, ideally including some full-time work in a research laboratory
- Knowledge and understanding of basic immunohistochemistry and microscopy techniques
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction, and to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
- Prior programming experience (R, Matlab and Python)
- Exposure to and understanding of image processing
- coursework or work experience in biology and chemistry
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Compensation and Benefits