View job on Handshake
PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients. Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms – from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing – and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients’ businesses.
The Hardware Research and Technology Laboratory (HRTL) at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) is a group of multi-disciplinary scientists and engineers who enjoy the opportunity to invent and develop new technologies, foster innovation, and launch new businesses. Research in HRTL includes 3D printing, sensor systems for the IoT, carbon capture technology, applications of artificial intelligence, digital x-ray detection, life science instrumentation, robotics and much more.
We are seeking an intern in the Photonics Systems group who will contribute to developing real-time monitoring systems for 3D liquid metal printers based on spatial light modulation technique. The intern will help to prototype detection system, characterize system performance, and iterate system design, aiming to achieve high speed feature extraction of the 3D metal printing process for improved printing outcomes.
- Design, build, and characterize optical detection systems
- Design and conduct experiments and record experiment data in a consistent manner
- Help with data analysis and summarizing key findings to drive design iteration
- Keep good records of the development process
- Communicate technical designs and results in organized format
- MS or PhD in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related fields with optical lab experience
- Experience with optical light source (LED, laser diode), lenses, optomechanical components, and photodetectors. Experience with NIR optics is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with optical breadboard prototyping, experience with fiber-optic assemblies and alignment is a plus
- Experience with characterizing optical systems, building optical measurement setups, designing experiments, and statistical data analysis to determine system performance and quality
- Experience with programming languages (Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, etc.) for data acquisition and signal processing
- Experience with FPGA is a big plus
- Good technical communication skills
© 2020 Xerox Corporation. All rights reserved. Xerox® and Xerox and Design® are trademarks of Xerox Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.