PARC, a Xerox company, is in the Business of Breakthroughs®. Practicing open innovation, we provide custom R&D services, technology, expertise, best practices, and intellectual property to Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies, startups, and government agencies and partners. We create new business options, accelerate time to market, augment internal capabilities, and reduce risk for our clients. Since its inception, PARC has pioneered many technology platforms, from the Ethernet and laser printing to the GUI and ubiquitous computing, and has enabled the creation of many industries. Incorporated as an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Xerox in 2002, PARC today continues the research that enables breakthroughs for our clients’ businesses.
The Mechanical and Fluid Systems group is looking for exceptional summer interns to contribute to PARC’s research activities in advanced manufacturing (AM) and materials design, especially as PARC’s research can applied to push the performance of materials and systems beyond. During the summer, you’ll have an opportunity to explore a wide range of PARC technologies and map out potential directions for these technologies in new applications. You’ll also be tasked with developing a comprehensive view of the current state of the art and key challenges across a wide range of industries.
· Read and summarize journal articles from the current state of the art
· Develop a comprehensive view on the current state of the art
· Sort and organize technology trends
· Map current technology trends with PARC technologies
· With PARC staff, do analytical calculations, modeling, or experiments with promising technologies
· Currently enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Aerospace Engineering, or Industrial Engineering PhD program
· Background in developing materials, manufacturing techniques, or testing materials in challenging environments
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· A strong interest in understanding current scientific state of the art
· Ability to learn quickly and communicate with researchers outside of their domain expertise
· The ideal candidate will:
· Have taken classes in entrepreneurship or other business classes and be able to do basic technology scoping
· Have familiarity with government funding models
· Be strongly motivated to find exciting new applications for technology
© 2020 Xerox Corporation. All rights reserved. Xerox® and Xerox and Design® are trademarks of Xerox Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.