View job on Handshake
The Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences (Ob/Gyn & RS) Research Enterprise includes clinical, translational, population and basic science research areas. Reporting to the Director of Research administration, the Research Financial Analyst functions as part of a team that provides administrative and financial management services to the department’s research operations. The individual will lead management of a diverse portfolio of $2M – 5M in annual spending to support a variety of programs across a division or multiple divisions where analysis of data requires thorough understanding of complex regulations. S/he may provide backup support to other team members in support of other portfolios. S/he will support change management projects focused on streamlining and transforming team workflow and increasing team productivity.
The Research Financial Analyst will provide guidance and advice to research program faculty and staff to achieve short-term goals in support of the Department’s mission and consistent with longer-term strategic financial and programmatic goals. S/he informs and coaches faculty and research staff on standard operating procedures, departmental or university policies and processes; ensures that these policies are sensibly applied. Independently, and in collaboration with more senior staff, oversees research awards and / or transactions related to contract and grant management and maintains contract and grant records in compliance with institutional research sponsor policies. Provides decision support analysis and guidance for short- and long-term planning. S/he supports e-commerce platform orders for a range of supplies and services. S/he manages submission of service requests to central service centers and closely monitors progress and quality of deliverables from these service units, which include Human Resources, Research Management Services, Innovation, Technology & Alliances, Contracts and Grants Accounting, Procurement/Strategic Sourcing and Accounts Payable. Completes/submits transactions for signature/approval by manager or other authorized institutional official. Works on awards such as fellowships, career development awards, standard research grants with subcontracts and some clinical trials.
The individual is expected to provide high-level customer service as part of a dynamic, responsive team. Post-award financial management and reporting are critical functions of this position, as well as minimizing risk and assuring compliance with applicable University and sponsor/donor policies and federal/state regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training especially in an academic environment.
- Minimum 3+ years of related experience.
- Thorough understanding of research administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable compliance requirements related to use of human or animal subjects in research, financial conflict of interest, biosafety, etc.
- Ability to manage significant volume of transactions.
- Ability to perform complex financial analysis and customized reporting.
- Demonstrated competence in the use of spreadsheet and database software in financial analysis, fiscal management and financial reports.
- Maintains current knowledge of compliance regulations in all areas of research administration.
- Ability to maintain independent judgment; strong organization and communication skills; and a customer service focus across broad and diverse subject areas.
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting, fiscal and reporting principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective grant funding processes, procedures and techniques
- Strong writing skills in a variety of styles to draft persuasive text for a variety of audiences while ensuring adherence to funding sponsors guidelines.
- Experience working in university, academic medical center, or public health organization.