Position: Research Engineer – Battery Materials
Reports To: Manager, R&D Cathode Development
Location: Waltham, MA
The Research Engineer/Associate Research Engineer will work under the direction of the group lead with the primary role of synthesizing cathode material including doping and coating and testing small electrochemical cells to evaluate battery materials for the cathode team. This individual will be required to operate software used to program and run the battery testing instrument, as well as to process and report test data in a standardized format. The Research Engineer/Associate Research Engineer will also be responsible for performing tests to measure powder samples’ physical, chemical, and mechanical properties. Results and data analysis will be summarized in written reports and maintained in laboratory notebooks and intranet locations. Primary job activities include conducting experimental testing in a controlled environment such as dry room and glove box with understanding the safety guideline of lab activities.
- Synthesizing cathode powders including doping and coating
- Assembling and testing of electrochemical cells to evaluate battery materials
- Processing, recording and tracking test data using software tools
- Conduct electrochemical cell teardown and failure mode analysis
- Manage inventory of R&D chemicals, powders, and monitor safety practices in the lab
- Mixing powders and solvents for electrode slurries and assisting in operating the electrode coating machine
- Performing other functions as required to support the R&D operation
Successful candidates will be both quality and detail oriented, be team oriented and flexible. They will possess good interpersonal skills, be proficient in written and verbal communication and be able to interface with co-workers and management.
The position requires a self-starting, highly organized individual capable of identifying opportunities and taking responsibility for project implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or related field. Master of Science is preferred.
- Experience working with glove boxes and dry room is preferred.
- Experience with batteries or electrochemical systems is a big plus.
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments and statistical method/tools is a plus.
- Attention to details and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and knowledge of other office software.
- Ability to execute experiment in a chemistry lab and operate electrochemical testing equipment is a must.
- General chemistry lab skills and the ability to operate analytical equipment is a must.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with analytical instrument such as XRD, TGA/DSC, EIS, SEM/EDS and ICP is highly desirable.
- Good teamwork and communication skill is strongly preferred.