Remote Work is available with only 1-2 days per month of physical presence in the office required. When physical presence is required, employees are responsible for travel expenses to their office site. Additional Hybrid Telework and Alternative Work Week Schedules are also available.
University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) employees may qualify to transfer their current and previous employment credit to State of California employment through CalPERS. Human Resources can help with this process upon employment or you can reach out to CalPERS for inquiries at (888) 225-7377.
The Research Data Specialist II (RDS II) independently analyzes and consults on healthcare workforce related studies of more complex and scope. This involves using statistical methods, established guidelines and technical scientific procedures. Under general direction, the RDS II is a member of the Healthcare Analytics Branch (HAB) team and serves as a team member on public health and healthcare projects for the Workforce and Utilization Analysis Team (WUAT) within the Analytics and Data Section (ADS) and with members of the Department of Health Care Access and Information (HCAI) Healthcare Workforce Development Division (HWDD).
The RDS II will also:
- Analyze healthcare access, utilization, quality, and equity as impacted by healthcare professional workforce shortages.
- Analyze the relationship between provider and patient characteristics, and social determinants of health and healthcare access, utilization, quality, and outcomes.
- Provide consultation to workforce data collection, data standards, and data quality.
- Provide evidence-base to inform program planning and actionable opportunities to address workforce related health care improvements. The scope includes analyses of appropriate provider and patient measures, as well as geographic and social determinants of health, and to develop data standards. These analyses are highly sensitive; thus, accuracy and unbiased reporting is critical.
- Serve as a knowledge resource on databases, research methods, reports, analytic products, visualizations using Tableau, and SAS, Python, R, and/or SQL programming.
- Adapt research methods to problems with limited scientific scope, investigates methods for resolving analytical problems, develops new reporting tools, and assesses a variety of healthcare issues, and works as part of a research team.
- Perform innovative integration of complex data sources.
- Collaboratively work with HAB and HWDD team members and investigates the feasibility of new research projects and consults with other staff concerning analytical methods and approaches.
Do you have the following education or experience?
Incumbents must possess 12 semester or 18 quarter units course work in any combination of a data driven research-related field, such as economics, mathematics, psychology, sociology, demography, geography, anthropology, statistics, data science or a research-related field. This must include at least one course in statistical methods; and
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree. Work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis by applicants who have the required units mentioned above.
A Master’s Degree in economics, mathematics, psychology, sociology, demography, geography, anthropology, statistics, data science or a related research-oriented field may be substituted for two years of the required experience. A doctoral degree in the same areas may be substituted for three years of the required experience.
Experience applicable to one of the following patterns may be combined on a proportional basis with experience applicable to the other pattern to meet the total experience requirements.
One year of experience in the California state civil service performing data research-oriented duties at a level of responsibility equivalent to that of a Research Data Specialist II; or
Six years of progressively responsible quantitative and qualitative data research experience engaged in the collection, compilation, analysis, and interpretation of data. (Experience applied toward this requirement must include one year of experience performing duties at a level of responsibility equivalent to a Research Data Specialist II.)
If so, you may meet the minimum qualifications. Apply today!