View job on Handshake
“At Mérida Labs, we are looking for a motivated and solution-oriented Research Associate (RA) to lead the energy systems pillar. Our energy systems research encompasses breakthrough technologies, policy, energy conversion, new business models, cost analysis, machine learning, optimization, AI, intelligent networks, among others.
We have received funding from Federal and Provincial governments, and our industrial partners to deploy a renewable energy hub. This city-scale testbed will allow us to develop new technologies and economic models for individuals, cities, and utilities. The RA will maintain the data flow, the servers, the high-performance computers, and any software-related occurrences.
As the team leader of the energy systems pillar, the RA will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge solutions to develop new technology and manage teams of engineers, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students. The RA’s main tasks are to supervise and coordinate the production of high-quality and impactful research in energy systems.
The appointment will be for one year, renewable, subject to a performance assessment. The anticipated start date is April 15th, 2022. The review of applications will begin on March 31st, 2022. Interested candidates with a Ph.D. degree or equivalent professional experience in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Energy Systems, Energy Conversion, Policy, or related fields with more than 5 years of experience as postdoctoral fellows or project management are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to candidates with strong presentation and writing skills, and publications in high-impact journals. Applications, including a cover letter stating the research interests, detailed curriculum vitae, and the contact information of three potential references must be submitted online through UBC Careers.
This posting is for the UBC Vancouver campus in British Columbia, Canada.
The Research Associate will report to the Senior Program Manager from MéridaLabs and to Prof. Mérida. The RA will supervise post
• Research and Development
• Leads the energy systems pillar within MéridaLabs.
• Collaborates with industry, academia, and government.
• Strategy and Project Management
• Define and manage projects.
• Manages projects from conception to final reporting.
• Grant writing.
• Oversee data collection from the Hub.
• Main point of contact with vendors and suppliers for the Hub.
• Facilitates and manages research grants and provides a critical review of research proposals using expertise, experience, and knowledge of grant agency requirements, priorities, and direction.
Research and Development
• Responsible for developing new research areas in collaboration with Prof. Mérida and the Senior Program Manager.
• Responsible for maintaining state-of-the-art research and development.
• Paper writing and editing
• Ensure high standards of publications including, but not limited to patents, journals, and white papers.
• Find appropriate journals for the publications.
• Support graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in journal paper writing and editing.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
This position will work in collaboration with Prof. Mérida and the Senior Program Manager. Poor decisions could damage the reputation of the group. This position is accountable for the quality of publications and research.
The Research Associate will work independently under the supervision of Prof. Mérida and the Senior Program Manager.
This position will supervise graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
• Post-graduate degree or equivalent professional designation. Ph.D. in a relevant discipline preferred.
• 5 years or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A combination of working knowledge and experience in conducting research, directing research teams, and supporting collaborative, multi-institutional research groups is an asset.
• Excellent communication and problem resolution skills are required for bridging technical, linguistic, and cultural differences to give all stakeholders the best possible experience.
• Proven ability to write scientific papers.
• Ability to work effectively with teams as well as independently.
• Ability to identify key results from scientific, statistical, and quantitative research findings.
• Ability to conduct needs analyses, plan, organize, manage, monitor, complete, and evaluate projects within allocated time and resources.
• Experience using computer applications, servers, HPCs, Python, and other programming languages is required.
• Priority will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents.
To apply, please send a Cover Letter and your CV to Dr. Omar Herrera: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting is for the UBC Vancouver campus in British Columbia, Canada.Please refer to reference number HS-55818 during correspondence about this position.Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.”