View job on Handshake
We eat the meats we do not because they are the tastiest, but because they are the easiest to industrialize. There is an inverse relationship between industrializing animals for meat processing and how delicious your steak, lamb chop, or ham is. Like humans, animals are what they eat—so the ones who graze freely in nature beget better flavors. At Black Sheep Foods, we’re experts at recreating wild and heritage flavors using plant-based sources. We now want to become experts at creating even more delicious flavors, and that’s where Ewe (yes, you) come in. We are looking for a Research Associate to help create the best flavors in the world. You will work closely with a team of Cell Biologists at our R&D Facilities in San Francisco and Berkeley to develop and modify the flavors of the future. Successful individuals will be self-motivated, organized, and adaptable.
We are looking for a candidate with knowledge of lipid biosynthesis (experience with multiple eukaryotic strains is a plus). Though not necessary, prior research experience in producing, characterizing and/or understanding lipid-derived commercial biochemicals is desirable.
- Support interdisciplinary efforts towards improving and creating vegan flavors in a highly collaborative environment.
- Execute experiments to enhance the flavors developed for our plant-based products.
- Present research findings in a well-organized manner to the team.
- B.S. or M.S. in cell biology, molecular biology, chemistry, biological or chemical engineering, or a related field
- Knowledge of Molecular Biology (DNA Cloning, PCR, Enzymatic assembly, protein purification)
- At least 2 years of previous experience working in a research laboratory in an academic environment
- Some experience in Western Blotting (preparation of biochemical lysates from eukaryotic and or prokaryotic cells, polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, transfer, antibody staining with fluorescence or luminescence-based detection)Advanced light microscopy expertise (TIRF, spinning disc confocal)Must have clear knowledge of molarity, sterile technique and general microbiology
- Proven ability to learn new lab procedures such as basic light microscopy (epifluorescence, DIC), advanced molecular biology (mutagenesis, directed evolution, CRISPR)
- Ability to troubleshoot and perform fermentation assays, separation and sample preparation including cell isolation, metabolite extraction and characterization.
- Excellent time management, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Willingness to grow in a dynamic environment and handle constantly evolving objectives.
- Willingness to grow and develop into a contributing member of the team which provides insight into the improvement of plant based meat flavor.
- Prior experience working on food product development; experience working on plant-based products is a plus.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.