View job on Handshake
Requisition Id 8648
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Quantum Computing and Sensing Group in the Computational Science and Engineering Division (CSED), Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
- Participate in new and ongoing research in quantum sensing
- Formulate novel quantum sensing solutions to problems of national interest and support the research and development necessary for the practical implementation of those solutions
- Interpret, report, and present research concepts and results to national audiences at all levels
- Write peer-reviewed papers and technical reports for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums
- A PhD in physics or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- We are interested in candidates with general research experiences in optical instrumentation for microscopy and spectroscopy including quantum effects. Priority is given to candidates with experience in building optical systems for microscopy. Specifically, familiarity and experience for experimental research at the interface between quantum optics and spectroscopy is highly prioritized.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.