View job on Handshake
Requisition Id 8498
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Mathematics and Computation Section in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD), Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). This opportunity offers an excellent opportunity to conduct exceptional and innovative research in mathematics, statistics and scientific computing, for applications with scientific and national priority. ORNL’s mathematics research efforts provide the fundamental mathematical methods and algorithms needed to model complex physical, chemical, and biological systems. ORNL’s computational science research efforts enable scientists to efficiently implement these models at the extreme scale of computing and to store, manage, analyze, and visualize the massive amounts of data that result. ORNL’s artificial intelligence research provides the techniques to link the data producers, e.g., supercomputers and large experimental facilities, with the data consumers, i.e., scientists who need the data.
The selected individual will be mentored by a senior scientist within CSMD and will participate in several on-going research projects across the lab, will access to advanced computer architectures and high performance machines (such as FRONTIER), and have first-hand opportunities to facilitate technology transfer from the laboratory research environment to industry and academia.
- Contribute research to one (or more) of ORNL’s principal areas of research in mathematics and computer science
- Collaborate with a highly diverse multidisciplinary team
- Report research results in open literature journals, technical reports, and at relevant conferences
- A PhD in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computational Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Applicants should not have previously served more than one postdoctoral appointment
- The successful applicant will have demonstrated expertise in one or more area of relevance to the ORNL’s mathematics and computer science programs. Principal research areas include:
– Computational and applied mathematics
– Artificial intelligence, machine learning and the mathematics of data
– Discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science
– Statistics and probability
– Optimization and design
- Extensive background in theoretical and applied probability, statistical physics, theoretical statistics, foundational aspects of data science or artificial intelligence
- The ability to effectively communicate his/her research in written and oral form, to an audience of experts and non-experts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.