Requisition Id 8590
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Discrete Algorithms Group, Mathematics in Computation Section in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD), Computing and Computational Science Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The group designs novel algorithmsand foundations for discretestructures, including AI, graph algorithms and discrete optimization. This group works to improveand expand the functionality of existing computational algorithms to make them compatible with the novel architectures ofupcoming supercomputers, as well asto optimize them for fields of particular interest to the Department of Energy, includingneuromorphic computing and quantum computing.
The Mathematics in Computation Section creates the mathematics and algorithms that harness machines, ideas,and data, that enable far reaching scientific breakthroughs. CSMdelivers fundamental and applied research capabilities in awide range of areas, including applied mathematics and computer science, experimental computing systems, scalablealgorithms and systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning, data management, workflow systems, analysis andvisualization technologies, programming systems and environments, and system science and engineering.
The position requires collaboration within a multi-disciplinary research environment consisting of mathematicians, computational and computer scientists, and domainscientists (both theoretical and experimental) conducting basic and applied research in support of the Laboratory’s mission. Specific responsibilities include:
- Participation in the development and analysis of new computational methodologies for scientific problems, often customized to complex and large-scale scientific applications
- Delivery and support of mathematical technologies for various scientific disciplines and applications
- Dissemination of research through peer-reviewed papersand technical reports, as well as seminar andconference presentations
- Active participation in professional organizations
- A PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, Computational Science, Engineering, Physics, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Background in numerical analysis, including approximation theory, linear algebra, optimization.
- Computational statistics
- Experience developing mathematical tools for engineering or science applications
- Sparsecomputations,systems, algorithms and frameworks on HPC such as SuperLU, GraphBLAS
- Experience working with modern machine learning software tools and frameworks
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
For further information, contact Dr. Ramakrishnan Kannan(firstname.lastname@example.org). Please reference the position titleand number when corresponding about this position
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.