View job on Handshake
Requisition Id 7610
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Computational and Predictive Biology Group in the Biosciences Division, Biological and Environmental Systems Sciences Directorate (BESSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The Postdoctoral Research Associate use X-AI and other data analytic approaches to analyze multiple types of genome-wide data, to discover and understand the biology underlying nicotine and opioid addiction, including generating informative networks from genome-, methylome-, Chip-Seq, and transcriptome-wide data that will be integrated and scored in an LOE framework.
The successful candidate will work with a diverse and talented team of biologists, computer scientists, and developers in a joint effort, and will have many opportunities to broaden their knowledge, develop collaborative networks and their own research. This position provides the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research with access to suitable high-performance computing resources and ORNL’s Leadership Class Supercomputer (https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/olcf-resources/).
The Biosciences Division (BSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is focused on advancing science and technology to better understand complex biological systems and their relationship with the environment. BSD has expertise and special facilities in genomics, computational systems biology, microbiology, microbial ecology, biophysics and structural biology. Computational systems biology research includes methods development and use to analyze large scale omics, greenhouse, field and clinical datasets to derive insights and hypotheses suitable for further experimental validation and to improve researchers’ ability to further advance understanding of biological systems.
We develop and apply computational methods to explore biological processes at all levels of life systems organization from atomistic to ecological scales. The collection of omics, phenotyping and environmental data, and automation of its analysis and discovery, is becoming increasingly important as the scale of experiments grow and diversify for projects at ORNL including the Center for Bioenergy Innovation, Plant Microbe Interfaces, Secure Ecosystem Engineering and Design, BioScales, Integrated Pennycress Resilience projects, funded by the DOE, and Biomedical projects, funded by the NIH and VA, and pandemic prevention projects funded by the NSF and other government agencies, among other efforts that also include access to suitable large-scale computational resources.
In this position, the successful candidate will be taking an important role in the development of approaches for systems biology, explainable-AI, network analysis, and information flow.
- Develop and support data collection, modeling, and integration, along with associated computational and machine/deep learning environments and interfaces for systems biology
- Analyze large biological data sets to build accurate predictive models of biological processes and publish original work
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers to analyze and interpret novel results using newly derived methods
- Contribute to ongoing projects in the group and successfully define and develop their own projects
- Present research progress in project meetings and national/international conferences
- Publish original work and scientific results in peer-reviewed journals
- A PhD in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, systems biology, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Strong track record in developing software tools
- Demonstrated strength and efficiency in technical writing
- Strong experience with software engineering best practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.