Requisition Id 7843
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Nanomaterials Chemistry Group in the Separations & Polymer Chemistry Section, Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, the candidate will be responsible for delivering high impact research for intensified, scalable, and cost-effective platform for CO2 capture through the development of novel materials and processes, improved understanding of thermodynamics, thermal-hydraulic process optimizations, and surface functionalization techniques. Success will potentially promote the deployment of carbon capture technologies in numerous existing residential and commercial building infrastructures. The candidate will work closely with specialists in synthesis, materials characterization, spectroscopy, thermal dynamics, and mechanical engineering.
- Develop new processes and material systems for direct and point source carbon capture, conversion, and storage
- Develop durable and scalable surface functionalization strategies for different material platforms
- Work with the building equipment team to support a broad range of program development opportunities in the field of CO2 capture and utilization
- Use multiple characterization techniques to advance the understanding of chemical processes and material interactions/properties (e.g., FTIR, UV-Vis, electron microscopy, Raman spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, surface wettability analysis, etc.)
- Present and report research results at the project, group, PI meetings and national conferences
- Publish scientific results in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Energy and Environment Science , or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A strong background in inorganic/organic chemistry, material science and engineering
- Experience in material synthesis for different material platforms (e.g., porous and nanostructured materials, polymer systems), characterization, and performance analysis
- Research and development experience in surface and interfacial processes and physicochemical aspect of these processes
- Experience in different material platforms
- Experience with advanced data analysis and visualization tools
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.