Requisition Id 7222
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Building Envelope Materials Research (BEMR) Group in the Buildings and Transportation Science Division (BTSD), Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
BEMR research supports the U.S. DOE Building Technologies Office and other customers by developing state-of-the-art and cost-effective building envelope technologies that make new and existing buildings energy efficient, low carbon, durable, comfortable, and grid-interactive.
- Conduct research in advanced building envelope designs, thermal energy storage, HVAC systems, sensors and controls, and how these components are integrated into optimized systems
- Perform simulations and laboratory and field experiments on heat and mass transfer through building envelope materials, assemblies, and systems
- Improve, develop, and use first-principles numerical modeling tools for thermal components and systems.
- Develop experimental setups, conduct experiments, and analyze results
- Collaborate in multidisciplinary teams composed of researchers from various areas of expertise at ORNL (e.g., building science, material science, automation, and sensors and controls)
- Interact and collaborate with researchers from universities, national laboratories, and private industry
- Present research results to ORNL staff, DOE, industry, and academia in the form of invited talks, conference papers, and peer-reviewed journal papers with high impact factors
- Assist in the development and preparation of proposals
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Solid academic and research record in relevant heat transfer, thermodynamics, and mass transfer, emphasizing modeling and experimental research
- Knowledge of building envelope materials, construction and energy efficiency in buildings
- Experience setting and conducting laboratory experiments
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships through active participation in professional societies
- Strong, proven publication record
- Proficiency with EnergyPlus and COMSOL
- Experience programming in Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, C++ or similar tools
- Knowledge of polymer chemistry and diffusion of gases through polymers and other barrier materials
- Experience with machine learning and deep neural networks
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.