View job on Handshake
The Actuarial Consulting Practice of Oliver Wyman advises clients across a broad spectrum of risk management issues. We are a rapidly growing practice with offices across the globe. Our actuaries hold the highest professional qualifications and are nationally recognized as experts in their field(s).
The North America P&C Insurance Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman provides a wide range of services to insurance organizations. Our services include analytics, predictive modeling, ratemaking, reserving, model validation, capital modeling and actuarial capacity management. The practice currently has offices in Columbus, Ohio; Raleigh, North Carolina; New York City; Chicago, Illinois; Montreal, Canada; Toronto, Canada and Mumbai, India.
The North America P&C Insurance Practice of Oliver Wyman strives to be the consulting firm of choice for clients and employees, and to be recognized as the premier analytics trusted advisor. The practice seeks to inspire an entrepreneurial culture which fosters free flowing ideas, values diversity, and allows for challenges to the status quo. Its colleagues are proud to perform exciting, diverse, and leading-edge work.
As a new Analyst, you will work alongside Oliver Wyman’s industry leaders and other experienced consultants. You will be expected to contribute to a broad range of client projects. You will achieve significant interaction and visibility with Oliver Wyman’s clients, which include top tier insurance companies, reinsurance companies, investment banks, law firms, state regulators, and private equity firms.
Office/Regions available: Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Columbus, Hartford, Philadelphia, Kansas City, New York City, Raleigh, Seattle, Montreal, and Toronto; hybrid positions will also be considered.
Potential projects may include:
- Ratemaking, underwriting and claims model development that utilizes advanced analytics, GLM and machine learning techniques
- Integrating artificial intelligence with actuarial science in a variety of contexts
- Actuarial software development
- Commercial, personal, and specialty lines rate indication and state filing support
- Reserving and capital modeling analyses
- Model validation analyses
- Mergers & acquisitions due diligence including assumption review, model build, and profitability analyses
- Client and industry presentations, surveys, case studies and marketing support
- Development and maintenance of intellectual capital
Qualifications and desired skills
- Entry level candidates preferred
- Currently enrolled of a BA/BS program in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related degree (Graduating in 2023)
- Progression with achieving actuarial credentials
- Strong technical knowledge of MS Office Suite, VBA, SQL or other database software, experience in Python, R or other programming languages preferred
- Track record of rapid learning, high performance, and professional growth
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management and time management skills
- Deep critical-thinking skills and creative problem-solving ability
- Strong bias for action
- Ability to work independently
- A desire to work in a team setting that encourages helping each other and promotes an “all for one, one for all” mentality
- Highly motivated individual and willingness to work in a dynamic environment
Why Work for Us
The Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman seeks to invest in its people by fostering a safe and inclusive environment, respecting and welcoming different perspectives, promoting an ownership culture, providing opportunities for individuals to develop their personal brand, and celebrating successes and rewarding performance.
There are employee groups for: the LGBT+ community, racially and ethnically diverse employees, women, family life, introverts and veterans of military service at Oliver Wyman. Members act as “reverse mentors” to Oliver Wyman leaders’ on a regular basis, ensuring Oliver Wyman continues to embed inclusion issues in its global agenda.
In addition to competitive benefits, the Practice is dedicated to the success of actuarial students in their pursuit to become credentialed actuaries. Oliver Wyman offers a competitive study program which includes paid time off for exam study and exam day, financial support for materials, reimbursement of exam costs and salary increases subsequent to passing exams. Financial incentives such as first-time pass bonuses are provided in addition to the generous salary increases. The Practice’s managers understand the demands and dedication required to pass actuarial exams and are supportive and flexible with the actuarial students’ work loads.
Oliver Wyman is committed to the principles for equal employment opportunity and complies with all relevant federal, state, and local laws.
Marsh McLennan and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.