ABOUT THE POSITION
As a member of the Mayor’s Cabinet, the Municipal Port Director (“Director”) works closely with the seven-member Board of Harbor Commissioners, providing leadership, strategic planning, and executive direction over all port activities and operations. The Director plays a key role in maximizing job creation and revenues by administering the Port’s existing leases, maintaining tenant and customer relations, and marketing Port Milwaukee assets domestically and internationally.
- Direct all activities of Port Milwaukee, which handles varied cargo from both ocean and lake vessels, working closely with the seven-member Board of Harbor Commissioners.
- Plan and oversee harbor operations, engineering, maintenance, trade development, and marketing.
- Direct the harbor’s physical, economic, and financial growth.
- Provide leadership, strategic planning, and direction over Port Milwaukee’s professional, technical, and administrative personnel.
Port Administration, Marketing, and Customer Relationship Management
- Negotiate and prepare existing operating agreements and leases of public port lands and facilities; prepare all lease instruments.
- Maintain effective partnerships with current and future tenants.
- Market available land and other Port Milwaukee assets to maximize job creation and revenues.
- Promote Port Milwaukee’s burgeoning status as a hub for the Great Lakes cruise ship industry.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy here: https://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/derAuthors/Policies/COVID-19EmployeeVaccinationPolicy.pdf.
- The Municipal Port Director is required to file a statement of economic interests in accordance with the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances Chapter 303-Code of Ethics.
- The incumbent must be willing to work non-standard hours as needs dictate and be willing to travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, public administration, economics, transportation, engineering, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of progressively responsible management experience in port administration or operations, marine or rail transportation, or in a comparable field, providing broad knowledge of waterway commerce, rail operations, international trade, and multimodal transportation.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job will be considered.
The current salary range (Pay Range 1NX) is $105,918-$148,289 and the resident incentive salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $109,095-$152,738. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
- Screening for this position will be based on an evaluation of each applicant’s education, experience, and professional accomplishments, which should be detailed in a cover letter and resume and sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, November 18, 2022.
- Please indicate “Municipal Port Director” in the subject line.
- Inquiries regarding the selection process may be directed to Kristin Urban by calling 414.286.8643 or via email at email@example.com.
- The City of Milwaukee reserves the right to invite only the most qualified applicants to participate in the selection process.
- The selection process will be conducted as soon as practical after Friday, November 18, 2022. Receipt of application materials may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.