The Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit organization working to create a fully inclusive state by promoting economic growth and development among LGBTQ and allied-owned businesses, corporations and professionals in Wisconsin. With nearly 700 members throughout the state, the Chamber is Wisconsin’s leading LGBTQ business organization.
The Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs will work under the direction of the President & CEO on implementing the Chamber’s entrepreneurial and small business development strategies and programs. This position will assist in fulfilling our mission to create an inclusive and thriving economy and community for LGBTQ and allied businesses.
The Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs will be responsible for overseeing the Chamber’s 1:1 Technical Assistance offerings, as well as developing additional entrepreneurial and small business programs. In addition, the position will work with other members of the team to execute Chamber events around Wisconsin. Other key duties include supervising the Chamber’s AmeriCorps VISTA members. This position reports directly to the President & CEO.
This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. The Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs must be able to take initiative, prioritize, multitask, and set and meet deadlines. This role must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the state to attend and host Chamber events and meetings.
This is a salaried position. This position is full-time, 40 hours a week. The work schedule is flexible depending on organizational and employee needs; however, consistency and reliability are required for this job. Some early mornings and evenings are required. This is not just a 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. job. This position has flexibility to be based in the Chamber’s headquarters in Milwaukee or to work remotely from Madison, Appleton or Green Bay areas (with frequent travel to Milwaukee).
Major Duties & Tasks
Organize and implement Chamber’s Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Programming (50%)
- Oversee and expand the Chamber’s Technical Assistance Programming
- Directly facilitate 1:1 Technical Assistance sessions with entrepreneurs and small business owners on multiple topics, including business plan development, access to capital, and marketing
- Implement and manage the Chamber’s Entrepreneurial Bootcamp Series
- Assist with the planning and execution of regular Business Development Workshops
- Assist in writing grants to support the Chamber’s Entrepreneurship Programming, as well as assist in completing required data tracking and grant reports on programmatic efforts
- Represent the Chamber on relevant webinars, phone meetings, and other activities; as well as share applicable information with Chamber staff and Chamber members
Oversee the planning and execution of Chamber signature programs (25%)
- Oversee and manage the Chamber’s Workforce Development program in partnership with AmeriCorps VISTA; including creation of job seeking preparedness resources and overseeing the LGBTQ Career Fair
- Manage the Chamber’s Industry Councils (Financial Services, Hospitality & Tourism, and Real Estate)
- Assist the President & CEO in executing the LGBT Business Enterprise convenings and other activities to support our NGLCC certified businesses
- Assist the President & CEO with all other Chamber programming and activities (e.g., prepare presentation and workshop materials, staff occasional meetings, assist in survey creation, and offer other support as needed for meetings and events)
Assist with organizational events and programs (10%)
- Work in collaboration with the Membership & Events Manager to plan and organize event details such as scheduling, contacting venues, organizing guest lists, creating guest nametags, sending out invitations and arranging materials
- Assist with the staffing of regular and special Chamber events throughout the state, including major signature events, as well as regular networking opportunities
- Reach out and secure new funding sources (e.g., develop sponsorship opportunities for programs, seek grants and donations in support of the LGBT Chamber Foundation, etc.)
- Assist in recruiting potential members for the Chamber, as well as working with the Membership & Events Manager on membership renewal process.
Assist with administrative operations (15%)
- Supervise the Chamber’s two AmeriCorps, including completing and filing all required paperwork with appropriate entities
- Assist with the training and retention of interns and volunteers (e.g. developing job descriptions, training materials, and providing direction and feedback)
- Maintain regular, ongoing communication on behalf of the Chamber (e.g. answering and returning phone calls, attending meetings, leading presentations, responding to online inquiries, emailing members, regular check-ins with President & CEO, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) Qualifications
- Proven work experience in and knowledge of LGBTQ issues, nonprofit management, program and event management, and/or business development
- Strong knowledge of the startup and small business ecosystem
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
- Proficiency with Zoom and other online meeting platforms
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to think creatively and analytically
- Strong interpersonal skills, must be comfortable on the phone and interacting with the public
- Organized, dependable and detail oriented, must be able to multitask and meet multiple deadlines
- Able to work well independently under own direction and as part of a team
- Has earned or is pursuing degree in relevant field; or comparable work experience
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of member information
- Must be committed to excellent customer service and the vision and values of the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Must be committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the community and the workplace
- Have a strong passion for entrepreneurship and a commitment to small business development
- Available to work 40 hours a week, typical schedule is flexible between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday; some early mornings and evenings will be required
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the state
The work may be performed at the Chamber’s Milwaukee headquarters, or candidates may also work remotely from Madison, Appleton and Green Bay areas. The Manager of Entrepreneurship Programs will be expected to travel around the state to visit members on site and for special events and meetings on a regular basis.
This is a salaried position. Salary is $39,000 to $41,000 a year.