View job on Handshake
This position is eligible for full-time telework under Government Code 14200 for eligible applicants residing in California.
Under general direction of the IT Manager I (ITM I), the Senior Technical Project Manager is the lead subject matter expert regarding technology concerns. The incumbent demonstrates a dept of leadership and expertise under the IT domain of Project Management. In accordance with current project management methodology, the Senior Technical Project Manager manages highly complex projects involving multiple business areas through initiation, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling and closing phases.
- 5 + years Project Management/Portfolio Management Experience
- Excellent knowledge of principles of IT Project Management, the System/Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), IT Project approval and oversight processes
- 5+ years Technical Credibility: Understand and appropriately apply procedures, requirements, policies, and technology; possess up-to-date knowledge in the profession, and access other expert resources when appropriate.
- IT Governance experience
- Customer Service Orientation: Maintain cordial, effective professional working relationships; readily adjust priorities in response to changing client needs; develop trust and credibility with clients.
- IT policy and business process experience
- Contract procurement and management experience
- Excellent leadership skills with experience managing or leading teams of technical analyst, project managers
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- The incumbent manages highly complex IT Projects. The Senior Technical Project Manager conducts, plans and implements project scope, business objectives, measurable benefits, success criteria, assumptions, constraints, and dependencies; develops project plans and artifacts, detailed project schedule, and manages the project in detail budget; performs issue and risk management and develops and executes resolution strategies and corrective actions to address issues; defines project roles and responsibilities; identifies required resources and obtains resource commitments from stakeholders; defines project deliverables and activities; reviews, refines, and approves defined deliverables for accuracy and completeness; works closely with and participates in a variety of multi-disciplinary teams to deliver projects successfully; ensures that management, sponsors, affected State organizations, contractors, and other participants agree to project commitments; conducts project close-out activities; obtains final acceptance of project deliverables from sponsors. All projects are to be managed in accordance the System Development Life Cycle, Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), and applicable industry best practices.
- Manage and formulate the IT Project Portfolio as approved by the Governance Committee, track and report the status of all active IT projects. As part of IT Governance, the incumbent is responsible for the intake process for new candidate IT projects through legislative analysis, the review of enhancement requests, and development of documentation for the California Department of Technology (CDT) Project Approval Lifecycle. Implement documentation of the business case, develop effective solutions to customer problems, and review project submissions.
- Research, formulate and implement IT policies and best practices. The incumbent will be responsible for all stages of IT policy development and implementation. Develop and maintain ongoing documentation on the life cycle of large scale IT projects, beginning to end, to provide a historical record of each project. Maintain program and project management documents, templates, and artifacts on a shared site. Ensure standards and methodologies are updated and published for HCD programs and projects.
- Conduct weekly meetings as necessary. Plan and facilitate project steering committee meetings, project team meetings, and other program related meetings as needed. Meet regularly with the Assistant CIO and ITM I.