- Get real work experience at one of the largest mining and metal companies in the world, focused on safety and inclusion
- Work with the newest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change
- Summer 2022 internships
About the role
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
What you’ll bring
- At least one year completed* in a bachelor or master’s in Data Science, Computer Science or Engineering, or another related field
- Demonstrated analytical or problem-solving skills either through academic or work experience
- Safety mindset
- Leadership skills, eagerness to learn and ready for the challenge ahead
- Flexibility and autonomy
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Valid driving license
Additional desirable skills
- Experience or academic work in languages such as SQL, R, Python, Java, or C is preferred
- Understanding of relational databases
- Experience or working knowledge of tools like Microsoft Excel, Power BI or Tableau is a plus
*To be eligible for an internship, you must be returning to school in the fall and have the right to work in the US.
What’s on offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary
- A relocation stipend and assistance for eligible candidates
- Ambitious, exciting and rewarding experience
- Opportunity to build relationships with the Rio Tinto team and community
- A great chance to prepare yourself to join our Graduate Development Program
Where you will be working
Our Kennecott mine is a world-class, fully integrated copper mining operation, including a concentrator, smelter and refinery, located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States. We produce copper, precious metals including gold and silver, molybdenum and sulfuric acid. Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich ore body of the Bingham Canyon Mine since 1903 and is one of the top producing mines in the world, comprising approximately 11 percent of U.S. annual copper production.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Applications close on Friday October 8th (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date). Applications received will be assessed over the following weeks.
Please note, in order to be considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto, it begins with you.