Lumen’s Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
Join Lumen’s UX Team as we re-imagine and reinvent how large Telecoms can better interact with and support their customers in a way that is more modern, digital-first, intuitive, and friendly. Design user experiences used by millions of people everyday, take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs. Collaborate with teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them. Bring your experience in Design Thinking and your pragmatic user-centered and data-informed design approach to create innovative, usable, great-looking products that people love to use.
We’re looking for a UX Research Intern to help us make the performance of complex tasks an intuitive, elegant, and satisfying user experience. As part of a growing UX team you’ll collaborate with multiple teams to create software for our customers that is powerful, feature-rich, yet easy to use. We value creative, self-driven individuals who care about the work they produce and the people they work with and we love a good sense of humor, too. The User Experience Research Intern will work with product design teams to identify research needs and deliver user-centered findings that help design useful, usable, and desirable user experiences.
The Main Responsibilities
The ideal candidate for this role is a problem-solver and self-starter who effectively collaborates with other teams to deliver user-centric insights. The selected intern will help define and shape solutions that scale, using multiple research tools and techniques to uncover user insights. Your fellow researchers will provide you with support and mentorship.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research to help inform requirements and validate design decisions
- Advocate for the user and champion the value of research as part of the decision-making process
- Collaborate with our product managers, engineers, UX designers, and UX researchers to improve engagement and reduce friction across multiple digital products
- Participate in multidisciplinary brainstorms, working sessions, and other collaborative discussions
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Education Requirements
- Pursuing a Bachelor, Master or Doctorate degree in Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction or have other related experience.
- Enrolled at a 4-year accredited US college or university; at least junior or senior level education status at the start of the internship (graduating August 2023 – June 2024).
- Proficiency and understanding of;
- Familiarity with Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods
- Previous experience working with Python or R
- Have a passion for understanding and building empathy for humans
- Experienced in data-gathering and analysis techniques across qualitative and quantitative methods
- Able to multitask and work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Excited to solve unique and challenging problems
- Thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and have strong verbal and written communications
- A portfolio and/or case studies demonstrating student work
- Professional Attributes
- Strong drive for results and taking initiative
- Ability to be resourceful and adaptable
- Ability to collaborate and have agility while making effective decisions
- Strong communication skills
- Authorization to work in the US
- Work Setting
- This position will be fully remote/ work from home.
- Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June – August)
- US work authorization
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!
Requisition #: 317692
When applying for a position, you may be subject to a background screen (criminal records check, motor vehicle report, and/or drug screen), depending on the requirements for the position. Job-related concerns noted in the background screen may disqualify you from the new position or your current role. Background results will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
NOTE: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.