BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The BioMarin Data Science department is responsible for designing, capturing, analyzing, and presenting data for research and development and other business areas of BioMarin. The Quantitative Science group within Data Science has the objective to foster the effective, impactful use of data companywide. Quantitative Science cultivates quantitative thinking and applies statistics and data science to advance research, development, commercialization, and all other business functions.
The role may be hybrid (preference) or virtual, depending on the qualifications of the candidate.
To support the development of R Shiny applications to be used by researchers at BioMarin to conduct statistical evaluation of treatment effects in in vitro and in vivo experiments. In participating in this project, the intern will work alongside experienced industry data scientists and software developers, and will gain experience with real-world methods of analyzing data in pre-clinical experiments in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
- Proficient in R programming
- Ability to develop R Shiny applications
- Knowledge of data science including exploratory analysis of data
- Exceptional ability to thrive in a team environment
- Experience developing data science applications
- Working knowledge of computer/network systems
- Knowledge of linear mixed effect model methodology
- Excellent communication skills
- Hybrid (preference) or virtual, depending on the qualifications of the candidate.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or Biostatistics
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.