The City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Utilities are looking to establish an eligible list for GIS Analyst, Senior. This position is to be responsible for the development and maintenance of City Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This includes performing data analysis, customer solutions development, application configuration and development, software integration for GIS applications along with support, maintenance and monitoring of SQL Server geodatabases.
This is a highly technical and professional position. It is distinguished from other technical positions by the requirement to demonstrate expertise in the area of GIS data analytics, systems design, implementation, maintenance support, and overall knowledge of systems integration to ensure high-availability of mission critical systems.
- Create, edit, update, and maintain GIS Data residing in a SQL Server/SDE geodatabase virtual server environment and hosted feature layers utilizing appropriate tools and best practices
- Administration of ArcSDE and ArcGIS Server
- Develop desktop, web and mobile GIS applications utilizing Esri desktop products, including ArcGIS Online, Field Maps, and associated application templates, developer API’s and SDK’s
- Develop Data Editing processes and procedures, which may include versioning, for creating and maintaining spatial and attribute data in support of enterprise GIS applications
- Assist in the installation, updates, configuration and management of ArcGIS Server and SQL Server in a virtual environment
- Develop and Publish map and editing web services using ArcGIS Desktop and ArcServer
- Design and maintain daily/weekly/monthly data processing and quality control tasks using ESRI’s Data Reviewer tool
- Help to support, maintain, and promote a geospatially-focused environment
- Develop and maintain documentation on all relevant information, processes, workflows, and tasks
- Support the planning and implementation of projects
- Software research, testing, installation, and upgrades
- Maintain and update asset management data interfaces
- Support current and future systems integration with asset management software
Equivalent combination to:
- Four or more years directly related information technology work experience; and
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field (additional experience directly related to information technology work may substitute for a degree on a year-for-year basis)
- Successful completion of a GIS Certificate program
- Current or actively working towards GIS Professional Certification (GISP)
- Work experience with Windows operation systems and Microsoft Office Suite products (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS SQL Server 2016) highly desired
- Formal GIS training in the following area are highly desired
- ESRI’s ArcGIS Server (web-based) administration
- ESRI’s ArcGIS Online use and administration
- ESRI’s ArcGIS desktop software
- Python scripting in the ArcGIS environment
- ArcGIS Pro software
- ESRI Data Reviewer extension
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Tacoma we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma’s diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma’s entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
The City of Tacoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
All interested individuals must apply online and attach a resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to the position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to complete an online assessment. Applicants who pass the assessment will be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local 120. Successfully completing a nine-month probationary period is required prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before 4pm on the closing date of this posting.