View job on Handshake
Safe communities for Washington State.
Promote public safety and trust through fair administration, education and enforcement of liquor, tobacco, cannabis and vapor laws.
This recruitment is open until filled. First review of applications will be May 16, 2022. The hiring authority reserves the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision at any time. We encourage all to apply as early as possible.
This position is currently eligible to telework. This position is required to work in the office 0-2 days per week. This may change as per business needs.
Who we are
We want to create a culture that fosters excellence in customer service, open and honest communication, transparency and accountability, data driven decisions, and business initiated process improvement.
Your opportunity at a glance
- Are you interested in a state government accounting career?
- Do you have the minimum accounting credits or are you willing to complete these required accounting credits within 18 months of your hire date as a condition of your employment?
Note: LCB offers tuition reimbursement for up to $3,500 per fiscal year when an employee reaches permanent status. Permanent status generally occurs within 6 months.
If you answered yes to all 3 of these questions, then we encourage you to continue reading about an exciting opportunity for you to join our dedicated team of passionate professionals in our Spirit Fees Unit.
If you have an interest in analyzing and interpreting reports produced by the tax and fee accounting systems with a focus on process improvement, we encourage you to apply to be a part of the WLSCB team!
WSLCB provides a modern work environment and excellent benefits including:
- Training and career development programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work schedules
- Telecommuting opportunities
- Generous wellness program
- Onsite exercise facility
- Active and engaging diversity program
- Infant at Work program
- Organization’s commitment to your personal health and well-being.
- Work/life balance
- Free parking
- A comprehensive benefits package
Some of the duties you will perform are:
- Analyze and enter monthly/quarterly reports and payments into the Tax and Fee Accounting Systems.
- Verify and reconcile data entry into Tax and Fee Accounting Systems.
- Process daily cash received for the Spirit Fee Unit.
- Process incoming mail with no cash for Tax and Fee Accounting Units.
- Assist with reviewing audit reports for accuracy and post to the Spirit Fees System.
- Assist with reviewing correction reports for accuracy and post to the Spirit Fees System.
- Assist with reviewing daily changes to the Tax and Fee Accounting Systems.
- Monitor and track missing reports and provide suspension recommendations for licensees that are in non-compliance of reporting.
- Provide Customer Service to Tax and Fee Licensees.
- Answer phone line for Tax and Fee Accounting Unit.
- Respond to email and correspondence regarding tax and fee reporting, on-line reporting, general inquiries from internal and external customers.
Experience for required qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment and educational experience. See below for how you may qualify.
A Bachelor’s degree or above which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting (Education must include the required credit hours in accounting or a commitment to attain the required credit hours in 18 months)
One (1) year of relevant professional experience in accounting. Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Word and Excel.
An Associate’s degree in which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting (Education must include the required credit hours in accounting or a commitment to attain the required credit hours in 18 months)
Three (3) years of relevant professional experience in accounting. Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Word and Excel. (Education must include the required credit hours in accounting or a commitment to attain the required credit hours in 18 months).
Five (5) years of relevant professional experience in accounting. Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Word and Excel. And the required credit hours in accounting or a commitment to attain the required credit hours in 18 months.
The following certifications or degree may substitute for one year of experience:
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Government Financial Manager
- Certified Management Accountant
- A Master’s degree in a financial related field
- Knowledge and understanding of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- One-year experience interpreting and applying laws, rules, policies or procedures.
- Six month’s experience with the Office of Financial Management’s (OFM) Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS) and Financial Toolbox.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to ensure work products are in compliance with agency policies and OFM State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM).
- Electronic Filing Internet systems.
HOW TO APPLY
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY TO ENSURE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE REQUIRED MATERIALS TO BE CONSIDERED.
IMPORTANT: To be considered for this position, you MUST include the following, failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified:
- Completed online application.
- Current Resume.
- Letter of Interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for the position.
- Three professional references to include a current or recent supervisor with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Attach your unofficial transcripts showing you have taken 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting. (If you do not attach your transcripts and you are offered an interview, you will need to send them to us prior to interviewing).
**A resume will not substitute for completing the “work experience” section of the application.
The information provided in your application and supplemental questionnaire must support your selected answers in the supplemental questions. Responses not supported in your application will disqualify you for consideration of employment from this recruitment.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
To further ensure public safety and in conjunction with our Governor’s proclamation of stay home, stay healthy and current guidelines related to COVID-19, interviews at this time will be conducted by video or phone conference as part of our recruitment process.
Applicants for employment with the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board should also be aware of RCW 66.08.080, which states in part: “No employee of the board shall have any interest, directly or indirectly, in the manufacture of liquor sold under this title, or derive any profit or remuneration from the sale of liquor, other than the salary or wages payable to him in respect of his office or position, and shall receive no gratuity from any person in connection with such business.
RCW 69.50.351, no member of the state liquor and cannabis board and no employee of the state liquor and cannabis board shall have any interest, directly or indirectly, in the producing, processing, or sale of marijuana, useable marijuana, or marijuana-infused products, or derive any profit or remuneration from the sale of marijuana, useable marijuana, or marijuana-infused products other than the salary or wages payable to him or her in respect of his or her office or position, and shall receive no gratuity from any person in connection with the business.
The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from job seekers with diverse backgrounds. Honoring diversity, equity and inclusion means that as an agency, and as individuals, we are committed to ensuring that all employees enjoy a respectful, safe, and supportive working environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination based on sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation including gender expression or identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. You are welcome to include your name and gender pronouns in your application, to ensure we address you appropriately throughout the application process.