View job on Handshake
Summary of Job
The Financial Reporting Analyst is responsible for providing senior-level experience in Finance, directly supporting the Deputy Finance Director and Finance Department by performing specific financial and administrative functions. The position will assist or maintain controls over all general ledger accounts with principal operation to the extent necessary to establish, maintain and audit controls over input and output of detailed transaction reports, as well as performs other related work including preparation of reports to outside agencies as required. As a representative of the Finance Department, this position has regular interaction with employees, the public and other agencies and is critical to the success of the City of Sheboygan. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, who takes initiative and meets deadlines. This position requires a high level of ethics, confidentiality and tact.
- Senior-level, skilled finance professional, capable of assisting the Deputy Director and Finance Director with a high degree of skill and ability providing various functions throughout the Finance Department.
- Actively creates and implements continuous improvement procedures for present operations and develops new proposals subject to approval of Deputy or Finance Director/Treasurer.
- Assists in creating policies and procedures; provides support on new procedures as required for Finance staff, as well as other departmental employees.
- Audits and compiles information in the support of journal entries.
- Reviews and approves all Purchase Order Changes and AP invoices prior to payment
- Reviews and reconciles the general ledger, including capital outlay accounts, and submits a report to the Finance Director or delegate for approval.
- Produces required accounting reports, for the creation and filing of required state reports.
- Audits subsidiary records for grants, insurance, bank reconciliation, ambulance billings and other specific areas which require the production of periodic reports and prepare the related reports subject to review and approval by the Finance Director or his/her delegate.
- Assists the City Attorney and City Administrator with investigating insurance claims
- Performs reviews of all department records and procedures including inventory, cash drawers, cash receipts, and other financial transactions.
- Review and verify all activity including account distribution of all source data posted to the general ledger.
- Required to audit and review all city payrolls, and communicate with the Payroll Coordinator for any needed changes to said payrolls, and make the required payroll tax payments.
- Assists with annual audit, annual budget preparation, and year-end close.
- Provides other work-related support as required or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related degree is required, with a minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in a related field.
Qualifications & Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form is required.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete reports and records.
- Ability to prepare forecasts, accurate calculations, various ratios, and perform analytical procedures.
- High proficiency in Excel and other related Microsoft office suite programs.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, analyze information, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to establish and retain professional relationships while working in a diverse office environment
- Must be objective, respectful and act in the best interests of the City