We hope you’re interested in building a home with us. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every requirement listed in this job description, we still encourage you to apply.
About Us – Our Company
Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is the premier specialty retailer of high-quality products for the kitchen and home in the United States. Our family of brands are Williams Sonoma, Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn teen, pottery barn kids, Rejuvenation, Mark & Graham, west elm, or Outward. These brands are among the best known and most respected in the industry. We offer beautifully-designed, stylish and functional products for every area of the home, including the kitchen, living room, bedroom, home office, closet, laundry room and even outdoor spaces. We’ve seen some big changes since our first brick-and-mortar store opened more than half of a century ago. What hasn’t changed is our passion for high-quality products, functional design, outstanding customer service, and enhancing the lives of our customers and the communities where we operate. Today, we’re a multi-brand, multi-channel, global enterprise supported by state-of-the-art technology and some of the most talented teams in retailing – and we’re always looking for new energy and ideas.
About The Team
You will be part of the Financial Planning team that is responsible for the Williams Sonoma Brand profitability. We are critical members of the Williams Sonoma Brand organization providing financial guidance in decision making. We are looking for a strong, self-starter to help support our eCommerce functions.
About the Role
You will provide analytical and systems support for eCommerce financial functions. This includes the development of the monthly forecasts, annual operating budget, three-year strategic plan and capital analysis. You will provide support for marketing, financial and demand reporting, performance analysis and special projects. You will be highly collaborative, working with a variety of cross-functional partners.
- Perform month-end accounting close functions, including expense accruals, journal entries, and P&L variance analysis with emphasis on margin and operating expenses
- Provide standard reporting and ad hoc analytics to reconcile actual expenses vs. forecast and budget
- Develop knowledge and relationships with selected business units to guide budgeting and forecasting processes and support financial management needs
- Manage and improve operational expense models for monthly forecasts, long-range plans, and annual budget
- Perform in-depth analysis of direct to consumer shipping revenue and expenses with the objective to understand performance metrics, strategize areas for cost improvement, and optimize shipping revenue
- Work with Corporate leaders to identify and evaluate business risks, cost-saving and profit maximizing opportunities to improve current processes, and provide more meaningful information to key decision makers.
- Assist in the creation and distribution of daily, weekly, and monthly sales/ expense/profit performance reporting to highlight key business driving indicators
- Advance and clearly communicate business, financial and strategic analyses across the business
- Complete ad-hoc reporting, analysis, and other special projects for all departments as well as any other essential functions that may occur from time to time as directed by the supervisor
- Act as a true business owner; comfortable with decision making and calculated risk-taking
- Operate a computer and communicate via telephone
- Transport materials and equipment and lift, move, and carry objects up to 50 pounds on a limited basis
Love to work collaboratively in a group, you have an innate willingness to dig in and contribute to your team
- Are driven and motivated by the possibilities ahead
- Are a true business owner; comfortable with decision making and calculated risk-taking for the benefit of your business
- Think innovation is critical in a business environment and support others in creative thinking
- Pride yourself on the quality of work and are a stickler for the details
- Challenge yourself and others to grow
- Bachelor’s degree required, with preference in accounting, finance, or another business-related field
- 2-4 years experience in accounting, corporate finance or similar technical analytical role; experience in Big 4 or Retail industry a plus
- Strong understanding and application of financial analysis concepts as well as a solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced Excel skills are mandatory for this role. Must be a power user with financial model-building skills and be comfortable with manipulating large volumes of data using macros, pivots, or lookups. Access or other database management experience is a plus
- Experience with corporate computerized budgeting/accounting systems (Hyperion Essbase, Smartview, Oracle preferred)
- Capacity to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Ability to effectively work on special projects that include a high degree of ambiguity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of urgency and attention to detail as well as excellent follow-through. Demonstrates self-management and initiative
- Ability to perform work onsite in the San Francisco office full-time pending state, local, and Company return-to-work guidance during and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
We believe in People First
We firmly believe that working in a culture focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion spurs innovation, creates healthy and high-performing teams, and delivers superior customer experiences. Our DEI initiatives prompt associate participation and engagement, aligning with our core vision to reflect the communities where we do business and put people first.
Benefits Just for You
Depending on your position and your location, here are a few highlights of what you might be eligible for:
- A generous discount on all Williams-Sonoma, Inc. brands
- A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
- Paid vacations, holidays, and time off to volunteer
- Health benefits, dental and vision insurance, including same-sex domestic partner benefits
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- A wellness program that supports your physical, financial, and emotional health
Your Journey in Continued Learning
- In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
- Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
- Resources for self-development
- Advisor (Mentor) program
- Career development workshops and learning programs
- Speaker series
WSI will not commence an immigration case or “sponsor” an individual for this position at this time (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration).
This role is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.