Our teammates are at the core of what we believe in: People, Collaboration, Learning, and Excellence (PeopleCLE). We look to hire individuals who are committed to our purpose of uniting and inspiring our city through the power of team. Our mission is to win the World Series while creating a compelling fan experience. If you believe you possess these important traits, please consider a career with the Cleveland Guardians.
All applicants for employment with the Cleveland Guardians will need to comply with the Cleveland Guardians Vaccination Policy as a condition of employment. Potential candidates for employment will be notified of the requirements of this policy prior to the start of employment.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Be a resource to the Finance department regarding matters of planning, analysis, reporting, business development, and profitability.
This role will work within the Guardians Finance Department to develop, research, and analyze financial models, accounting procedures, and policies. Perform profitability analyses and program measurement projects throughout the entire organization, on both a prospective and retrospective basis. Support and help maintain the integrity of the strategies and practices, as well as ensures proper planning and measurement tools are utilized org-wide regarding profitability enhancement. Support four major tenets of Finance including asset protection, maximizing profit and minimizing loss, financial reporting, continuous improvement, and serving as a crucial business advisor.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Budgeting and Forecasting Process:
- Assist with the preparation and review of the operating budget with respect to operating revenues and expenses and capital budgets. Assist in the preparation of the budget, identify any issues and inconsistencies, and propose resolutions to enhance efficiency and accuracy of the budgeting process.
- Collaborate with various departments and finance/accounting team to update monthly forecasts, communicating findings, working with departments to improve forecast methods. Responsible for updating key forecast files and schedules. Perform analyses on variances and ensure consistent and accurate projections.
- Work with Finance Department in developing, updating, and regularly updating the financial standing for the operations of the Cleveland Guardians Baseball Company. Responsible for analyzing, updating, and monitoring various departments within Baseball and Business Operations, and communicating results to finance team.
- Assist in developing and maintaining tools for tracking key expense categories and providing variance analysis where applicable. Work with various departments to improve financial acumen and expense management.
- Conduct financial analysis and build financial models to evaluate potential revenue opportunities and profit and loss scenarios associated with proposed programs and events across multiple departments (e.g., non-core events, innovation, strategy).
- Perform expense benchmarking and directional comparisons to other peer clubs using Financial Information Questionnaire data. Communicate findings to departments in both Baseball and Business Operations to be used for expense management and strategy.
- Provide analysis of business and industry fluctuations and trends, profit improvement (either revenue generation and/or expense savings) and continual review of expenditures and procedures for development, implementation and monitoring of expense control strategies.
- Analyze significant variances and unusual fluctuations between the forecast, budget, and actual financial results.
- Responsible for assisting in external reporting requirements with Major League Baseball including, but not limited to, revenue sharing (updates throughout the year), the Financial Information Questionnaire (“FIQ”), the Supplemental Information Questionnaire (“SIQ”), Debt Service Rule (“DSR”), deferred compensation and various ticketing surveys and other information requirements as needed.
- Responsible for assisting with development and updates for the long-term projections (typically three years) for the operations of the CIBC LLC.
- Create various tools including dashboards, databases, and models applied from FIQ data to improve analysis and efficiency in areas like NDLR forecasting and Internal FIQ compilation
- Learn new software and applications like Tableau and OfficeConnect. Apply capabilities to relevant
- reports and systems within the Finance department and serve as a resource for the group.
- Develop business intelligence tools and reports, to better analyze departments and improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations
People, Process & Plus Responsibilities
- Participate in various committees as a resource and ambassador from the Finance Department.
- Assist in the utilization of key technologies or information sharing systems for the Finance Department.
- Serve as a resource for the organization and provide guidance to improve training of other departments in budgeting/forecasting. Provide guidance on financial reporting and business intelligence tools like Adaptive, NetSuite, and Tableau.
- Responsible for reviewing programs as needed with a focus on asset protection and integrity of processes, ultimately driving sound business decisions for the Cleveland Guardians.
- Foster relationships between Finance and various business departments to improve communication and collaboration across the organization.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related business field.
- Master’s degree, CPA, or CFA preferred
- At least 1 – 3 years of experience in Financial Analysis, Accounting, Auditing, or similar position.
- Advanced computer knowledge including but not limited to Microsoft Excel, Word, and Office suite.
We are looking for a variety of skill sets. If you have demonstrated experience with one or more of the following, you may be who we are looking for.
- Knowledge of Tableau, SQL, or similar business intelligence software highly preferred, but not required.
- Exposure to Accounting software (Net Suite, Adaptive or similar) highly preferred, but not required.
- Statistical and/or financial analysis and modeling skills highly preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Tickets.com and Pro Venue preferred, but not required.
- Adherence to organizational policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and manage work within a fast-paced environment.
- Proactive mindset with proven problem-solving, customer service, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to quickly develop a detailed understanding of the general operations of the Cleveland Guardians Baseball Company and Major League Baseball
- Work hours needed to accomplish tasks and goals as required.
- Reads, speaks, comprehends, and communicates English effectively
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act in accordance with the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and have a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a complex and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 25 lbs.
The Cleveland Guardians are committed to developing and maintaining an environment that embraces all forms of diversity to enrich our core values, enhance our competitive position, strengthen our impact within our community, and foster a greater sense of belonging for our employees.
In this spirit, we know studies have shown that people from historically underserved groups – including women and people of color – are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and understand that candidate may bring certain skills and experiences to the role that are not listed above, but that would add tremendous value to our organization. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.