View job on Handshake
Specialty Finance/BDC Research Analyst
B. Riley Securities provides a full suite of investment banking, corporate finance, advisory, research, and sales and trading services. Investment banking services include initial, secondary and follow-on offerings, institutional private placements, merger and acquisition (M&A) advisory, SPACs, corporate restructuring and recapitalization. B. Riley is nationally recognized and highly ranked for its proprietary small-cap equity research. B. Riley Securities formerly operated as B. Riley FBR following the merger of B. Riley & Co. and FBR & Co.
We are seeking a full-time Research Analyst immediately to work, reporting to our Los Angeles office.
The position will be part of B. Riley Securities’ Research Division, working with the Discovery Group team to develop insightful, cogent, and forward-looking analysis for investors.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of assigned industry group and collaborates to identify companies to receive firm research coverage.
- Establish and maintain vibrant executive relationships with covered and non-covered companies. Develop and maintain sources of information on industry companies. Travel where needed.
- Actively support the investment banking team in identifying and evaluating covered and non-covered companies. In meetings with prospective clients, commands confidence and respect.
- Communicates effectively, via meetings and reports, with sales, trading and clients to recommend the purchase, sale, or holding of securities. Answers inquiries from clients, sales force regarding individual securities or industry groups with clarity and insight.
- Write and prepare research reports, industry pieces, briefs and first call notes with an emphasis on proactive research.
- If the Analyst supervises administrative staff, conducts regular constructive and thorough performance appraisals, and effective coaching and mentoring to assist in career management.
- Assists senior management in coaching junior team members.
- Takes a leadership role in recruiting junior personnel.
- Participates in firm activities, committees or task forces as well as external/industry related events and organizations.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in finance, business or mathematics) with outstanding academic performance that demonstrates strong analytical background and quantitative skills. MBA, CFA, MD or PhD preferred
- Background in equity research, consulting or finance-related fields with minimum 4 years of experience
- Ability to quickly establish equity research coverage within sector
- SIE, 63, 86, and 87 licenses.
- Understanding of corporate finance & equity markets.
- Strong competence in financial modeling, valuation and financial analysis and general business concepts. Should be excellent stock picker.
- Proven track record of verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to express ideas in a confident, timely, and organized manner.
- Proven ability to work well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to articulate complex concepts to both buy side and C-suite executives
- Ability to network and build relationships
- Ability to work in teams in a fast-paced environment.
- The ideal candidate should possess exceptional client and business development skills
- Willing to travel for conferences, roadshows, medical meetings
- Ability to analyze issues, identify challenges, and apply creative solutions.
B. Riley Financial, Inc. employees enjoy competitive salaries, access to our 401(k) profit sharing retirement plan and our other benefits including paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, voluntary group medical, dental, and vision insurance, and company paid life and disability coverage.