Economist – Full Time Opportunities 2022
Wayfair is looking for economists with excellent applied research and a track record of success, who have the ability to tackle difficult empirical problems. Causal inference, tightly coupled with principled experimentation and insights from economic theory, are essential to driving the decision making algorithms that power our core business. We build our systems from the ground up with economic fundamentals in mind.
What You’ll Do
- Help us price millions of products in a complex, two-sided marketplace.
- Measure the demand response to various business decisions, using both observational and experimental methods.
- Address a variety of supply-side questions, like product selection.
- Forecast demand at scale using a combination of time series and machine learning techniques
What You’ll Need
- Currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Economics or a related field (quant marketing, finance).
- Background in one of the following is preferred: in applied microeconomics, applied microeconomic theory, empirical industrial organization, labor economics, econometrics, experimental economics, development economics, behavioral economics, causal inference, time series econometrics, quant marketing.
- Appetite for collaborating in a highly interdisciplinary environment with other social scientists, computer scientists, statisticians, operations researchers, and engineers.
- Passion for communicating and creating visualization of complex material in a concise and precise way.
- Strong applied statistics background and practical experience handling data, ideally including proficiency in R or Python (fluency in SAS, Stata, or Matlab at a minimum)
No matter the position that you choose, you will have the opportunity to play a critical role in a growing company while also operating with a high level of executive visibility. The team is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior, influence key decision making and quantify our impact within the e-commerce space. Our diverse and fun employees enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.