Who We Are
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF supports Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through grantmaking and direct services in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment and the environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness, diversity and empathy.
Who We Seek
The Hispanic Federation (HF) seeks an Economic Development Manager to work out of HF’s Puerto Rico office. The Manager will work closely with HF staff and partner agencies in Puerto Rico to implement and oversee multiple economic development initiatives. The Manager will oversee the implementation of initiatives focused on small business and workforce development, digital skilling and other job skills training, and programming to ensure worker and entrepreneur access to training, capital, and capacity building to advance economic success of communities. The Manager would also support anti-poverty programs for low-income individuals and households, such as EITC, CTC, and NAP, and recent recovery assistance programs. This position will oversee HF’s portfolio of existing programs, grants and initiatives related to economic development; identify and develop new opportunities for engagement; and lead HF’s related policy and advocacy efforts.
The successful candidate will have experience collaborating with non-profit organizations in Puerto Rico, understand the culture of the communities they serve, and implementing large-scale programs. The ideal candidate should also have previous experience in community-based economic development, workforce and small business development, ideally with women and historically underrepresented communities, and experience working with federal grants and contracts is a plus.
This position is time limited and is set to expire after two (2) years with a possibility for remaining on board if additional funding is secured.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
· Manage work between Hispanic Federation and its partner agencies in support of economic development programming in Puerto Rico.
· Produce course curricula to be implemented with partner agencies, roll out and execute trainings as needed by address constituent needs.
· Identify areas of need within Puerto Rico to implement economic development initiatives.
· Create a network of business-oriented professionals to provide needed services to sites in Puerto Rico, support the creation of consultant services based on constituent needs.
· Supervise the Program Coordinator, ensuring event logistics and shared resources are adequately managed.
· Research and remain informed of relevant public programs, policies, and advocacy (federal and local).
Skills and Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s Degree, and 5 years experience successfully managing small business and/or workforce development initiatives with at least 3 years of experience in Puerto Rico in that capacity.
· Experience facilitating trainings and technical assistance events.
· Must have driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle for regular travel around Puerto Rico (approved travel expenses are reimbursed).
· Ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals, from the public and private sector.
· Strong financial and analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
· Demonstrated capability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
· Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
· Self-starter with ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and adapt to evolving and fast-paced situations
· MS Office – fully proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
· Experience hosting meetings in teams and/or zoom
· Strong commitment to Hispanic Federation’s mission and core values
· Fluent speaking and writing skills in English and Spanish is required