The Director of Leadership Development will create the processes, systems, and frameworks that foster learning, maximize individual performance, and develop the capacity and potential of employees through a talent agenda for leadership at every level. It involves the design, implementation, and evaluation of year-round leadership programming for organization-wide future leaders. This role will require an understanding of industry-leading references from Human Performance improvement, Performance DNA, industry best practices, and extensive collaboration with internal stakeholders to further develop an action-learning leadership compendium. In partnering with agency stakeholders, the Director will be results-driven and strategic in establishing relevant analyses, the examination of desired behaviors with responsive, talent development multi-tiered techniques; allowing future leaders to create a career blueprint and utilize building personal and professional capability through professional development plans. The Director will work closely with the Director of Succession Planning to ensure that future leaders are meeting career development goals with organizational objectives.
· Conceptualize, design, and implement career and leadership development programming, training delivery, and facilitation which create breakthroughs to enhance the individual, team, and organizational performance and knowledge management.
· Working cross-functionally with multiple agency departments to create diverse processes, systems, and frameworks that foster learning, maximize individual performance and develop the capacity and potential of employees with technology application.
· Identify, select, and implement the right learning and talent technologies and operationalize assessment tools to measure program effectiveness, where possible gaps need to be closed, and where leadership growth opportunities can be highlighted.
· Partner with key stakeholders, such as senior leadership and People Department colleagues, to understand and analyze skills/performance gaps, apply learning theories and cognitive science to propose learning approaches and delivery models, to achieve outcomes, enhance skills/behaviors, and close performance gaps.
· Through MTA wide consulting and partnering for organizational insight, consistently evaluate the impact of talent development programs. Implement multi-level, systematic methods for gathering, and reporting on information about the effectiveness of learning programs.
· Establish global listening and employee strengthening conversations. Create, lead and maintain coaching circles, learning communities, and mastermind opportunities that ensure individuals develop rapidly toward a preferred future state, produce results, set goals, take action, make better decisions and capitalize on natural strengths.
· Strategic design and operational delivery for live, virtual, and digital leadership development programs for executives, high potential talent, and people managers, utilizing off-the-shelf, MTA Transportation University Leadership Programs, agency leadership programs, and custom-designed content to incorporate adult learning methodologies for in-person, remote, and e-learning leadership material.
· Administer learning evaluations and assessments to ensure targeted levels of program success. Leverage data results to identify talent within the agency’s strategic business plan and mission.
· Partner with key all-agency stakeholders to ensure future leaders are identified, engaged, and scheduled for programming. Additionally, ensure post-training participants are continuously engaged and strategic plans are developed to ensure that future leadership placement is tracked and reported, per every training participant
· Establish standards and practices to measure and report program effectiveness and impact.
· Act as a liaison with agency subject matter experts within departmental units to ensure specific unit outcomes are met within the leadership program.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Knowledge and professional use of various psychometric assessments such as MBTI, DISC and the 360-degree assessment.
· Ability to supervise multiple programs, while keeping an eye on the details – quality matters to you as much as speed and execution.
· Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies.
· Excellent strategic thinking and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a high profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
· Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
· Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Exceptional data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
· Keeps up to date with leading-edge approaches (both in-person and online approaches).
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Education, Human Resources, Organizational Development, Psychology, Business, Organizational Behavior, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or related field, or an equivalent combination of education from an accredited college and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· Minimum 10 years related experience, including at least 4 years in a head of talent management, and/or project manager role in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body.
· Minimum of 4 years in a supervisory role managing teams/individual contributors.
· Experience working with senior executive stakeholders.
· Experience building strong relationships across an organization.
· Experience in instructional design processes, along with career development and performance management.