The Director, Laboratory Operations at Hexagon Bio, will lead the laboratory operations and facilities activities of a growing biotechnology company. This position will work cross-functionally to lead day-to-day laboratory operations to keep teams productive, prepared, and safe while managing facilities-expansion projects.
As the Director, you will be a collaborative and service-oriented leader who is keen to implement and maintain systems and infrastructure to ensure the company operates and scales with the highest level of efficiency and safety. This leader will develop trusting relationships and maintain clear, effective communications with the team.
- Manage laboratory operations support staff responsible for laboratory management, inventory management, environment, health and safety, facilities, shipping and receiving, and other routine tasks.
- Implement a robust and scalable inventory management system for lab consumables. Oversee the ongoing maintenance of the system to ensure we stock all required inventory. Liaise with our procurement team to ensure supplies are delivered as needed.
- Oversee the management of a hazardous chemical storage system.
- Ensure the laboratory is organized and maintained and safety standards are exceeded.
- Manage Environment, Health and Safety consultants to ensure adherence to regulatory and company safety protocols. Secure required permits. Develop and lead training on policies and procedures. Enforce personal protective equipment policy.
- Assist in budget development and financial analysis of laboratory operations.
- Manage laboratory space allocation to accommodate new employees, workflows, and equipment.
- Serve as the point of contact with property management to oversee facility repairs and routine maintenance.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to plan long-term facilities strategy. Partner with our real estate team to assess facilities expansion opportunities.
- Design future laboratory spaces and lead facilities build-out projects.
- Assist in budget development and financial analysis of facilities.
- Partner with R&D and engineering teams to prepare our annual capital equipment budget and secure annual service contracts.
- Work closely with hardware and automation engineers to support the installation and maintenance of liquid handling robots and integrated systems.
- Own equipment management lifecycle from procurement to maintenance.
- Develop and oversee vendor relationships to secure quotes and negotiate pricing.
- Implement and manage a system to proactively maintain equipment, manage service contracts, schedule routine preventative maintenance and coordinate repairs.
- Implement a cold storage strategy and conduct maintenance activities to ensure the preservation of critical materials.
- B.S. or higher, preferably in life sciences, engineering, facilities management, or other related field
- 10+ years of laboratory management experience in life science/biotechnology industry
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience with the ability to train, motivate and develop employees
- Expert project management skills including but not limited to demonstrated execution and a solution-oriented mindset
- Experience in facilities management, space planning and build-out
- Experience in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and general building maintenance
- Experience ensuring adherence to Environment, Health and Safety compliance
- Systems-oriented and proactive mindset with a strong attention to detail
- Strong people skills with the ability to build relationships and collaborate at all organizational levels
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Available to work in Menlo Park, California
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.