The Director, Contracts and Procurement oversees the Department of Contracts and Procurement at LAHSA. This position manages and monitors the Contracting and Procurement operations of LAHSA—including tasks and processes encompassing procurement, solicitation, budget and contract preparation, and award administration for Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Contracts. The Contracts and Procurement department ensures that LAHSA contracts and grant agreements with its Funders are of high quality and in compliance with all applicable legal requirements and other variable provisions associated with specific funding sources or program components. The Director of Contracts and Procurement will design, implement, and modify various contracting and grant management-related workflows both internal and external to LAHSA as necessary, and will similarly be responsible for assigning and prioritizing work amongst Department staff to optimize resource utilization and outcomes. This position is a key member of LAHSA Senior Management staff LAHSA and reports directly to the Chief Finance Officer (CFO.)
The Director, Contracts and Procurement oversees the Contracts and Procurement Department at LAHSA. This position manages and monitors the Contracting and Procurement operations of LAHSA—including tasks and processes encompassing procurement, solicitations, budget and contract preparation, and award administration for sub-recipient grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts. The Contracts and Procurement Department ensures that LAHSA contracts and grant agreements are of high quality and in compliance with all applicable legal requirements and other variable provisions associated with specific funding sources or program components. The Director, Contracts and Procurement will oversee the design, implementation, and modification of various contracting and grant management-related workflows both internal and external to LAHSA. This individual will similarly be responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating the work of the Department to optimize resource utilization and outcomes, ensuring timely completion of work. This position is a key member of LAHSA’s Senior Management staff and reports directly to the Deputy Chief Financial & Administration Officer (DCFAO.)
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates the work of the Department..
- Directs the development, implementation, and administration of short and long range planning objectives and performance requirements that support the Department’s strategic plan organizational goals and contribute to LAHSA-wide objectives.
- Assesses the skills and resources within the Department and LAHSA on a regular basis to inform the strategic deployment of those resources to address Department and LAHSA-wide needs.
- Analyzes the capabilities of Department staff and the effectiveness of Department processes to inform future work assignment, hiring, and training decisions.
- Collaborate with other Los Angeles Continuum of Care (CoC) participants—including organizations not funded or contracted to LAHSA—to reduce the occurrence, recurrence, duration, and impacts of homelessness in the Los Angeles CoC through the use of LAHSA-funded grants and contracts.
- Directs the development and maintenance of standard terms and conditions for grant award letters, agreements, contracts, amendments, solicitations and other related contract and procurement documents.
- Directs the development, implementation, administration, and maintenance of contract and procurement policies, procedures, and standards, and reference or guidance documents to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Contracts and Procurement Department.
- Reviews and approves Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), agreements, contracts, and other, related documents associated with contracting processes when necessary.
- Works collaboratively with other LAHSA departments to establish KPI’s regarding contract and grant metrics and criteria necessary to accurately measure and report on the performance and effects achieved by LAHSA and its subrecipients on various program components and funding sources given and across multiple types of variables.
- Directs the preparation and delivery of reports, analyses, and other technical documents to communicate and explain the progress and impact of both LAHSA’s work and the work of its subrecipients to the LAHSA Commission, funders, the public, and other audiences as necessary.
- Establish and improve processes through which outcome data from programs is used to inform future program development and revisions to LAHSA contracting and active grant management policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with other LAHSA departments to expand, downsize, or redistribute resources for existing program— and develop new programs—at the behest of the LAHSA Commission, LAHSA funders, or in response to findings made by LAHSA itself.
- Analyze the performance of homeless programs and strategies on the program, contract, agency, grant, community, and system levels, in collaboration with LAHSA department directors.
- Directs, though subordinate managers, the contracting and active grant management processes of LAHSA.
- Assist with the funding, allocation, reallocation, transfer, amendment, and modification processes for both Funders providing programmatic funding to LAHSA (such as Housing & Urban Development Department- HUD and Los Angeles Housing Community Investment Department- HCID) as well as subrecipient agencies receiving funding through LAHSA contracts for the direct provision of services and housing.
- Directs the development and delivery of contract and grant-related technical assistance (TA) plans to support the programs and services delivered by subrecipients and funded by LAHSA contracts to facilitate higher performance levels and client satisfaction.
- Directs LAHSA negotiations with current and prospective funder personnel to ensure that LAHSA’s concerns and priorities are accounted for in its agreements with funders.
- Directs LAHSA’s efforts with respect to resolving disputes stemming from various contract or agreement-related issues.
- Advises LAHSA executive and department management of the effects of potential contracting, sub-contracting, amendments, reprogramming, and funding transfers with various funding sources and program components to inform decisions and future practices.
- Directs the maintenance of accurate, comprehensive records for documents and communications pertinent to LAHSA contracting activities, including award letters, contracts, agreements, and solicitations.
- Maintains knowledge of current developments regarding contracting processes and best practices in the nonprofit, private, and public sectors to ensure that LAHSA resources, practices, and staff capacity are kept up to date.
- Undertakes special projects and other duties as assigned by Executive Management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent management skills, including ability to lead, mentor, and direct managers and staff to accomplish multiple departmental goals and effectively collaborate with other LAHSA departments to progress LAHSA-wide goals.
- Proven capacity to successfully carry out program development, implementation, oversight, outcome analysis, and reporting processes.
- Demonstrated ability to translate a needs assessment into an effective strategic programming plan for both internal organizational components and external partner entities.
- Demonstrated ability to enforce fair and equitable processes, decisions and determinations in compliance with Federal, State and local funding laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of regulations, requirements, and procedures governing the application for and use of funding from agencies and programs that fund homeless services and impact persons experiencing homelessness.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local government laws, rules, regulations, and processes related to procurement, and administration of contracts, grants, and loans, or other similar agreements and processes with governmental and nonprofit entities.
- Familiarity with applicable policies, procedures, laws, rules, requirements, and regulations related to the procurement of funding sources and the administration of programs used for the provision of homeless services.
- Strong interpersonal and outreach skills; proven ability to work collaboratively and establish successful working relationships with other entities and stakeholders (including government and nonprofit personnel) to advance larger, community or system-wide goals.
- Proven ability to optimize results by building team, unit, or department-wide effectiveness and efficiency through planning, managing, delegating, and prioritizing the assignment and delegation of tasks and projects amongst personnel with varying work styles.
- Proven ability to think creatively, analytically, and strategically to solve complex problems, resolve disputes, clarify situations, and communicate complex concepts clearly and concisely.
- Strong organizational, planning, time management, and project management skills, to coordinate effective, efficient, and timely completion of multiple ongoing or long-term projects and efforts while reconciling and prioritizing them with day-to-day departmental operations.
- Strong attention to detail; proven ability to identify best practices and implement them as formalized policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; proven experience in preparing and presenting a variety of organized, concise, and logically sound technical documents and reports.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively while exercising sound judgment.
- Intermediate to advanced-level proficiency in various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Planner, Project, Outlook, etc.)
- Familiarity with Contract and Grant Management or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and software a plus
Training & Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in similar leadership positions and a demonstrated record of accomplishment in those positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (such as law, business or public administration). A Master’s or Advanced Degree is preferred, but not required.
- Management experience in a governmental entity or a large nonprofit organization receiving government funding is preferred; experience working in entities involved in the provision of social services is highly desirable.
- Experience in the implementation, oversight, and evaluation of programs, initiatives, and strategies in the nonprofit, government, or private sectors.
- Direct experience in drafting, executing, and administering contracts and grant agreements, or with similar processes (such as active grant management) is highly desirable.
- Experience working within the Homeless Services field is highly desirable.
- Any combination of extensive and applicable work experience and educational credentials to perform the above duties successfully.
- Effective November 1, 2021, LAHSA will require proof of vaccination for all employees. This requirement is in response to the public health emergency and is intended to reduce the spread of COVID-19 among LAHSA employees, our stakeholders and those we serve – it will remain in effect for the duration of the public health emergency.
- Employees may apply for an exemption if they cannot be vaccinated due to complicating medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs. If the exemption is approved, then the employees will be subject to weekly COVID-19 testing.
Appointments are typically made between the minimum and the midpoint of the range, depending on qualifications.
Applicants may make a reasonable accommodation request for this job by calling the Human Resources Department at (213) 683-3333; or via email at email@example.com.