Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT’s I-405/SR 167 Program is eager to hire an experienced engineer looking to advance their career into a senior leadership role to serve as our next Deputy Project Director. The I-405/SR 167 Program is a high visibility and complex multibillion dollar program, and the Deputy Project Director will be responsible and accountable for the successful delivery of the program. The successful candidate appointed into this role will ensure that the construction program is developed and delivered to meet local, state, and federal standards within scope, schedule, budget, and safely with the least amount of impacts to the traveling public. Through strong and innovative leadership, this position will strategically manage the policies that ensure the most efficient management of a complex multimillion dollar budget and diverse workforce involved in the highway construction program. We encourage you to apply if you are interested in taking on this challenge to lead a diverse team to successfully deliver WSDOT projects.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Deputy Project Director will:
- Plan, lead, strategize, organize, and control the work performed by the organization.
- Ensure appropriate and optimum use of the organization’s resources and enhance the effectiveness of employees through timely appraisal and professional development opportunities.
- Maintain the highest standards of personal/professional and ethical conduct and support WSDOT’s goals of creating an inclusive workforce.
- Ensure that all projects are completed to standards and requirements outlined in contractual documents and ensure that projects are closed out in a timely fashion.
- Provide administration and leadership for all design and construction engineering activities and contract compliance for assigned highway construction projects, including design-build and design-bid-build contracts in the I-405/SR 167 program.
- Represent WSDOT at various local agency and community meetings/committees, and various internal and external committees and task forces with industry partners.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure strong communication and coordination of engineering activities with engineering support services, maintenance, public information, and traffic necessary for efficient and constructible contract plans.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Current driver’s license
- Professional Engineer (PE) License in Civil Engineering in the state of Washington (License holders from other states will be expected to obtain a WA State PE license within three (3) months of appointment).
- Experience and knowledge in highway and bridge construction, contract administration, managing project delivery techniques, principles of management, quality principles and tools, contract administration policy, and construction contract law.
- Experience and knowledge in design process, contract advertisement and award, WSDOT organization, merit system rules, affirmative action policies and laws.
- Experience and knowledge in environmental and permitting agencies requiring knowledge of noise ordinances, wetland, surface water runoff, streams, Puget Sound Water Quality, air quality and shoreline permits.
- Ability to develop and construct unique technical systems for large civil infrastructure, intelligent transportation systems and environmental retrofits in sensitive natural environments with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully participate in high-level of negotiations.
- Ability to administer and manage a complex multimillion dollar budget.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- Eight (8) years of experience in delivering design and/or construction projects.
- Experience in procuring projects through design-build and design-bid-build processes.
- Knowledge of FHWA processes and requirements related to delivering federally funded projects and making sure it meets their federal stewardship obligations.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County. An additional general wage increase of 3.25% will be applied for all state employees on July 1, 2022.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. To be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.