View job on Handshake
Job Title: Deputy Data Director
Reports to: Data and Analytics Director
Salary: $70,000 – $75,000, generous benefits package
Location: Madison, WI
Start date: May 2022
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, WisDems will continue to build a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: We seek a highly motivated, passionate and talented individual who can communicate technical concepts clearly to both their data team colleagues and to less technical audiences. As Deputy Data Director, you will work as part of a close-knit team to design reports, build data pipelines, and analyze voter contact and paid media universes across our coordinated campaign efforts. This is a termed position through the end of November 2022.
- Design and build reports and tools for other departments and for external partners in line with key programmatic priorities, particularly the organizing and voter protection teams.
- Maintain and respond to a ticketing system for data support requests and flags.
- Build data pipelines, integrations and automated workflows for reporting and data flow purposes using tools such as Google BigQuery and Civis Platform.
- Provide timely and relevant analysis of data and fielding requests for specialized research projects, in many cases requiring rapid turnaround.
- Support other members of the data team to complete projects as necessary, including administering tools such as VAN, ThruTalk, and other voter contact platforms.
- Develop and present VAN training materials to the organizing team in statewide, small group and one-on-one settings.
- Produce and share analysis of voter contact results, early vote and absentee turnout, voter registration, and other data relevant to campaigns.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Technical Skillset – Proficiency in SQL required, other programming languages are a bonus.
- Creative Problem Solving Skills and Solutions-Oriented Mindset – Able to find innovative solutions to technical problems.
- Strong Organizational Skills and Attention to Detail – Has a systematic approach to organization and has an airtight approach to catching even the smallest of mistakes.
- Project Management – Ability to manage several projects at the same time required.
- Previous campaign experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in Python is preferred.
- Experience pushing and pulling data via the APIs of widely used political vendors, such as NGPVAN, Civis Platform, Reach, Google BigQuery and Cloud Storage.
- Advanced knowledge of Google Sheets/Excel.
- Working experience with Civis Platform or the Google BigQuery/Cloud Storage data warehouses.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.