View job on Handshake
As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position performs database software releases and system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches, and helps identify and troubleshoot software and performance related problems in coordination with senior database Team members. Performs and helps define routine database backups and recovery tasks. Maintains and monitors database system configurations and alerts to ensure data integrity, continuity, and availability. This position is not responsible for providing care to patients.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our five hospitals and eleven clinics provide excellence in our comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient outcomes.
- Becomes familiar and competent with multiple Database System implementations through study, hands on work, and instruction by senior Team members.
- Analyzes system logs and identifies potential issues with database systems.
- Develops, documents and performs tasks needed to integrate new technologies into existing database environments in coordination with senior Team members.
- Completes audits and reviews of database systems including hardware, software, and network infrastructure.
- Completes backups and data migrations as needed.
- Reviews, documents, and performs database recovery plans and procedures vetted by senior Team members.
- Installs and configures database software as requested by senior Team members.
- Adds, removes, or updates database user account information, resetting passwords, etc.
- Investigates technical queries and resolves user issues.
- Understands and adheres to security policies and procedures.
- Documents and implements standard configurations to current systems and processes in collaboration with senior Team members.
- Triages and remediates reported problems.
- Collaborates with senior Team members on system performance tuning and testing.
- Contributes to the development of protocols to validate that the database infrastructure is up and running.
- Installs and migrates database object changes through development, test, and production environments as directed by senior Team members.
- Fully participates in On-Call rotation established for team.
- Works on complex projects under the direction and coordination of senior Team members.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Detail oriented, process focused, ability to learn in a fast paced environment and communicate effectively.
- Test and perform the implementation and integration of new database architecture into an existing environment in coordination with senior Team members.
- Knowledge of and adherence to change control processes in a large production environment.
- Knowledge of and ability to deploy highly available database technologies such as replication, load balancing, and clustering.
- Ability to install and configure database server software and document and compare new and existing systems.
- Identify standard monitoring requirements and apply additional setting requirements in collaboration with senior Team members.
- Ability to triage, troubleshoot and remediate routine issues in the database management system.
- Participate in the architecture and design configurations from vendors or system architects.
- Participate in the documentation, creation, and implementation of standards and guidelines.
- Ability to learn and write programming and coding to automate, support, and retrieve data from the database management system.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other related discipline or equivalency.
- Technical Certification in related area or equivalency.
- Experience working with any modern DBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, Epic Cache, MySQL).
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This is a sedentary position in an office setting that may exert up to 10 pounds and may lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, This position involves sitting most of the time and is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Carrying, Climbing, Color Determination, Crawling, Far Vision, Lifting, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Near Vision, Non Indicated, Pulling and/or Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Stooping and Crouching, Tasting or Smelling, Walking